View Full Version : Should I try to repair or replace the motor?

Terry Clark
01-27-2008, 9:57 AM
I recently came into an older model Craftsman 10" table saw with a 1 HP motor. The saw had a smaller blade that worked fine but when I installed a new 10" blade the motor did not seem to be able to handle the load when ripping a 3/4 inch sheet of oak plywood. This is the original motor that came with the saw. As best as I can determine its by Emerson (model 113.12171) and I think the table saw as manufactured around 1975. Do these motors lose power over time? Should I attempt to have it repaired or replace with a new motor?
Thanks,
Terry

Pete Bradley
01-27-2008, 10:06 AM
If this is one of the 70s Sears-branded sleeve bearing Emersons, they're pretty junky in my opinion. Still, you're attempting what should be an easy job for that motor.

I'd slip the belt off and verify that the arbor and the motor turn freely. It may be that one or both are bound up. Also check that the fence is aligned to the blade to avoid binding. Also, are you sure the blade you're using is sharp and if it's a plywood blade, it's not set too high (exposing the thicker part at the center of the blade that will bind in the kerf)?

Pete

Dave Falkenstein
01-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Before you spend any money on this saw, check the belt and make sure it is appropriately tight. And use a 12 gauge extension cord.

Bert Johansen
01-27-2008, 1:24 PM
If none of the above work, you probably should get a new motor. It will cost you less than having your old one rewound.

Terry Clark
01-27-2008, 3:17 PM
I checked the arbor and motor and both turn freely. I'm using an anti-vibration link belt. It looked a little loose so I removed a couple of links and tighten the belt. The blade and fence are square. I'm not sure of the gauge but I also changed to a heavy duty extension cord.

That seems to solve the problem. It cuts much better now. :)

Thank you to everyone for your assistance. I really appreciate it.

Terry