PDA

View Full Version : Arched top cabinet doors

Jim Davenport
01-27-2008, 9:41 AM
I’m in the planning stage of redoing my kitchen cabinets. “SWMBO “has hinted that it’s time to recoup some of the tool costs that she has tolerated over the years.
I want to do “arched top” raised panel doors. I’ve done a lot of straight doors over the years.
I have a raised panel bit set, and use a ½” collett in my Jet shaper. This combination has worked well for me, but I’ve always been able to use the fence.
The raised panel cutter always gives me some concern when it’s running. I usually cut my panels in several passed as my little shaper is power challenged.
My question is what is the best and safest method to do the arched top panel, and top rail?

keith ouellette
01-27-2008, 10:01 AM
I saw it done once and the guy used a template and two different sized bearings. The large one first then a smaller to finish. I don't see why you couldn't use three different bearings. I have only done straight cuts but I end with the bearing to guide my last cut. Its not hard with the bearing.
there are a lot of places that sell the template sets.

frank shic
01-27-2008, 12:16 PM
you can use an indexing pin to give you some leverage for controlling the arched raised panel and a bessey or similar clamp to hold the rail as you stick the profile. after building about twenty of those arched doors, i sold off my entire set of rockler templates on ebay and i will stick with square raised panels from now on!

Terry Sparks
01-27-2008, 3:12 PM
Marc Sommerfeld of Sommerfeld Tools has arched panel door templates that make the job very easy and for for excellent results.

Here is a link to his wbt site, http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/ , then click on "cabinet making equipment", the templates are on page 2. Marc also has an excellent instructional DVD on making them for $10.00.

All that's left to do is ask your wife which style door she likes.

Greg Narozniak
01-28-2008, 8:50 AM
Marc Sommerfeld of Sommerfeld Tools has arched panel door templates that make the job very easy and for for excellent results.

Here is a link to his wbt site, http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/ , then click on "cabinet making equipment", the templates are on page 2. Marc also has an excellent instructional DVD on making them for $10.00.

All that's left to do is ask your wife which style door she likes.

I have the DVD and the Template set. I have not used them yet but it is on my "To Do" list.