PDA

View Full Version : Go Daddy?

Scott Greaves
03-03-2004, 3:11 PM
A while back, in a discussion here about setting up a domain, there was mention of a "Go Daddy". I went and looked at their site, and it all seems too good to be true! So, does anybody here use them? What's the downside? I would like to register my domain, and start with a couple of E-Mail addresses, then add a website later. I would also entertain other places that do this same thing if they're better for some reason! Thanks!

Scott.

Bud Duffy
03-03-2004, 4:42 PM
Scott i went there after that discussion and they are pretty cheap i dont have any experiance with them but i have looked around and they seem to be a real good deal. I dont remember if it was jeff or chris that mentioned them that day.but they seemed to be happy with them. Also i did not get signed up in time for the seminar saturday. Maybe i will stop by there any way , i think i might just need somthing from there.

Glenn Clabo
03-03-2004, 6:26 PM
Guys...
The sponsor of this site http://www.hroads.net/ ...who absorbs ALL the cost for it's operation free to all of us... will do it. IMHO...I don't think it's really appropriate to discuss this any further here. Of course that's IMHO only. See...
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?postid=33203#post33203

Chris Johnson
03-03-2004, 7:19 PM
GoDaddy is great for registering domains. The price is right, and allows free parking. I have several with them. They are fast with changes.

Sorry to Glenn who believes this is not proper ??

A while back, in a discussion here about setting up a domain, there was mention of a "Go Daddy". I went and looked at their site, and it all seems too good to be true! So, does anybody here use them? What's the downside? I would like to register my domain, and start with a couple of E-Mail addresses, then add a website later. I would also entertain other places that do this same thing if they're better for some reason! Thanks!

Scott.

Julie Wright
03-03-2004, 8:51 PM
Glenn,
I'm confused?
Its keiths company.

Keith Outten
President, Hampton Roads Online
Taking Small Business Beyond the Web

A while back someone had a site that had Free webhosting.
http://www.50megs.com/

Mike Evertsen
03-04-2004, 12:57 AM
I've been with go daddy for a long time have one web site hosted it been ok I guess,,,,buy then I don't know anything about web pages and web hosting,,,I built my web site with the cd they sell cd it was easy for a computer challenged person to do,,,,,

Glenn Clabo
03-04-2004, 6:01 AM
Julie...
Hampton Roads Online does not advertise or charge us to use this forum. Please note that there are no popups, side adds or requests for money.

I just don't think that we should use a companies graciousness to discuss competors. I appreciate what Keith, Jackie and Hampton Roads Online does for free. To me...it's like going to the local Chevy dealer asking to sell Girl Scott cookies and then putting up a sign about how great Fords are.

I felt I needed to speak up because Keith is too nice to continue to bring it up. We had this discussion before and it bothers my conscience that it continues to happen...but clearly others don't feel that way...so I've said my piece.

Keith Outten
03-04-2004, 6:13 AM
Thanks Glenn, you are a true gentleman and I appreciate your comments on our behalf.

Glenn has referenced a link to a similar thread that discussed this same topic. Since Hampton Roads Online is an Internet Service Provider and we provide web hosting services, using our network resources that we provide for free to promote our competition kinda hurts. I know that many of our members are new and don't fully understand the details of how we can host SawMill Creek for free and with a zero budget. In a nutshell our network customers pay all the bills for SawMill Creek as a community service.

Go Daddy and the other cheap providers are hosting for a fraction of our prices. Some of these companies are foreign and can provide services at prices we can't touch because we use American labor. We provide our employees with benefits and pay them a reasonable wage. The cost of living in America will eventually drive most of the Internet services jobs overseas just like other industries have done.

I don't get too excited about this anymore, the handwriting is on the wall so to speak. Most of the small Internet Providers are all gone now just like the corner Hardware Stores who were unable to compete with the big companies. I had to leave Hampton Roads Online two years ago as we could not continue to support three salaries. After nine years in business we probably have only one year left but we have had a good run and have enjoyed being part of our local business community.

Although I am still the President of Hampton Roads Online I only serve in a limited capacity, the fact is that none of my partners will do the job for free so I'm kinda stuck with the job :) Over the last nine years we have been there for our customers, helping them learn to use the Net, building web pages and assisting small businesses. Since we were in the neighborhood we could visit our customers and help them with network installs and training for their staff.

The Internet has matured to the point that local Providers are no longer required, we could revamp our business values and go for the cheap stuff but it has always been my opinion that if we could not provide a quality service we would just close the doors. I will never water down our network resources or overload our servers in order to make a profit.

Jackie and Ray are doing a great job keeping our network reliable and running smooth for the few customers we serve. These people are very loyal and won't leave us just to save a few pennies and they appreciate the personal service we still provide. Although we are a very small provider we pay our bills and do not have any financial problems. We cannot get much smaller and remain in business, so we have been planning for our final year.

Of course a miracle is always possible :)

SawMill Creek will survive long after HRO is gone. We will seek other means to fund The Creek and keep our community alive and thriving.

Glenn Clabo
03-04-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks Glenn, you are a true gentleman

Me? I have to print this out and frame it!

We take too many things for granted nowadays. Just wanted to remind you that most of us who frequent this forum appreciates what is done.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 12:29 PM
Keith,

I think most of the problem is that a lot of us are ignorant to how ISPs are run and how they work and who does what and how the money comes in or doesn't. This isn't a good or bad ignorance, it just is what it is.

Look at me...I work for the most prolific maker of internet gear and I know next to zero about networking.

I guess what I am trying to say is to thank you for keeping your cool about this and most of all, thank you for educating me about this. Your honesty and business integrity might seem a burden on you at times but it will carry you far in this world...do not lose sight of it.

Oh, and thank you very much for the work done here to keep us all yammering away about our favorite hobby: woodworking (even the twirlers! ;) )

Robert Ducharme
03-04-2004, 12:42 PM
I agree with Chris's comments.

I had no clue how/who/what was providing the excellent response we get with this forum.

While I do not currently have a web page, if I ever get one it would be with companies that provide me with services like this.

Jim Becker
03-04-2004, 12:51 PM
Look at me...I work for the most prolific maker of internet gear and I know next to zero about networking.

If I were not your good friend first and a competitor second...I could really make hay with that quote!! :D :D :D

But you are correct, there is a general lack of knowledge out in the world about what it takes to deal with not just the technology but with the real-world business challenges that Internet service providers face. (That same lack of knowledge--and often common sense--is also why all these virii are proliferating)

Keith and his associates are doing a bang-up job and I admire that they care enough to keep things going despite the fact that they know it may be difficult to continue long into the future due to the realities of how the business operates. As to SMC, I'd gladly pay an annual fee (like my wife does for Salon.com's TableTalk) to continue to enjoy the community here...

Keith Outten
03-04-2004, 2:12 PM
I am hoping that when the day comes that we must move the SawMill Creek server to another provider we will have attracted enough Woodworking Guilds and groups to our forums that small donations from Private Forums will pay all of our expenses. As long as we have volunteers to keep things running our monthly bandwidth/co-location expenses should be reasonably low. This method will assure that we can continue without having to bow to any pressure from sponsors and we can continue to govern ourselves as a community. Keeping our public forums free should always be our primary goal, there are good woodworkers who may not join us if there is a fee involved or may not be able to afford access to a private forum. I think that everyone will agree that the collective knowledge of our group is valuable and we would all like to continue to share openly with all members of the woodworking community.

Chris Padilla
03-04-2004, 4:33 PM
Thanks again, Keith. Now lets pick another winner (ME!!) for the giv-a-way contest...you are behind on that one me thinks! :p
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=6708

Tom Sweeney
03-04-2004, 6:50 PM
Keith,
Do you guys provide domain registration services - exclusive of hosting? Not all of the smaller ISP's do that so I did not know if you did. My local ISP (who I use because he is just like HRO & helped me a lot when I started my web design business - (things that no big hosting company would think about doing) just started offering this value added service to their menu recently.
I use godaddy exclusively for their domain registration services. I will highly recommend them for that. I have never hosted a site with them so I can't, nor would I on Keith's forum, recommend them for that. (WHATEVER YOU DO DO NOT REGISTER A DOMAIN DIRECTLY WITH NETWORK SOLUTIONS / VERISIGN IMO!) If Keith does the domain registration then I will echo Glenn's comments- a position I have taken on many of these hosting threads.

If HRO offers a service you need I would suggest looking into their services first.

Keith Outten
03-04-2004, 7:45 PM
Tom,

Hampton Roads Online has always offered domain registration services for free. We register their domain in their company name and use ours for the technical. Since so many small companies seem to forget to pay their domain registration we provide that service for them as well, we pay the registration fee and send them a bill every three years. We also run our own primary and seconday DNS servers so we can make any changes to their domain or email necessary, normally in just minutes.
We have offered database hosting and integrated design and some other very high end services you would not normally find in a small company. We are one of the very few elite hosting companies that is capable of setting up and hosting an ADP tap and automatic extraction of auto dealers inventory directly to the web. Aaron can tell you more about custom programing, flash graphic design, etc. For the record we did a $90,000.00 web design job that made one of our customers wealthy in three years, when he took the site down we lost the best advertisement we ever had :(

Oh Well, sometimes you lose even when you got the right stuff!

Tom Sweeney
03-04-2004, 11:01 PM
My guy does much the same regarding domain hosting - but until very recently he just did it as a courtesy to his clients. He now has become a reseller of domain registration and sells this service even if you don't want to host a website right away.

As a response to Glenn & also for further clarification for me. I am the one that posted about godaddy originally. The gist of that thread, and Scott's question here, was about registering a domain name & having domain email even though you aren't going to actually have a web site hosted anytime soon. I'm still not certain if Keith will do this & hopefully he will reply that he does. If I had thought about it & knew that HRO offered this service I would not have recommended another company on Keith's forum.

If you search back through my 8 or 900 posts here(starting on the first day of SMC I think) you will find numerous posts by me stating the exact thing that you are. I am in the web site business & have been for over 9 years. I still use my original small local ISP to host my own web site. I try to recommend him to all my clients but he can not compete on price & it's their money so they usually opt for a cheaper source - unfortunately as Keith alluded to -the business has changed drastically in the last 9 years.

As far as anyone who uses & enjoys SMC I would highly recomend you use HRO for any internet services they offer, even if it's a little more $ & have stated that numerous times.

Tyler Howell
03-05-2004, 7:18 AM
I went to school today. I had no idea what was involved.:confused:
It is just FM. I say something silly and somebody smart replies with a great answer. Thanks to you all. I am very greatful. and would like to do my part.