PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger

Jerry Thompson
01-26-2008, 10:08 PM
I have several blanket chests to make. I pulled the trigger on a D4R. I could not see me cutting that many dovetails for the carcasses and half blinds for the drawers. I have hand cut them before and really get no saticfaction from doing them that way.
Does anyone have any pointers to offer for a newbie on this endeavor? I plan on cutting a bunch of practice stuff first and proceed with the items when I get the hang of it.
Thankyou
Jerry

Tom Leasure
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Jerry,
I have a D4 & love the thing - just read the manual first & follow the instructions - it will work great

C Scott McDonald
01-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Watch the video a couple of times. Read the book. Keep book handy for reference. The cutters that come with the D4R will only cut a max 3/4 thick stock. Stick with the 8mm shank bits. You already have the collet which is included in the D4R kit.

I got a bunch of cheap popular to practice with. After the third try I had it down pat.

You will find once you get the setup down it is a breeze to use. I wont lie the first few tries are frustrating.

You will love it. It was one of the tools I bought that I didnt have "tool regret"

Have fun!

Scott