PDA

View Full Version : Carter Bandsaw Upgrade for Jet 14"

Don Abele
01-26-2008, 9:48 PM
I have been kicking the idea around for the longest time about upgrading my Jet 14" bandsaw guides with the Carter rollers. I have some resawing coming up and don't want to waste any material or fight with drift. I also hate untensioning the saw.

Sooo, I bit the bullet and bought it all:

Carter Guides, Quick Release for the tension, New tension spring, and Urethane tires. Took an hour or so to install them all.

The quick release is awesome - no two ways about it. I really should have gotten it much sooner. I love the three positions (full tension, half for storage/inactivity, off for blade change).

The tires and spring I'm sure are beneficial, but nothing I can comment on outright. The reason I replaced the tires was that I was a hard time keeping my 3/4" resaw blade centered. It tended to wander a lot (front to back). Sounded like the tire was crowned too much.

Now, for the really amazing part - the guides. They were a little finicky to get adjusted but once I did I was amazed at the results. The biggest problem I had was attaching the upper guide assembly to the post. After a couple of tries and not being able to get it straight, I realized the set screws were slipping into the factory hole in the bottom of the post. I removed the post, flipped it over and had no further problems lining it up.

To check how well they were maintaining blade tracking I started cutting some 2x4's on flat. I was able to get a full 2x4 slice clean at only 1 mm thick :eek:. That was with a 3/8 blade. I put the 3/4 blade on and resawed a 2x8 on edge to 3 mm (just under an 1/8") with absolutely no drift what so ever.

I'm sold - this is a significant improvement in the overall performance of what I thought was already a good bandsaw. I'd highly recommend this upgrade to anyone else.

Be well,

Doc

Lance Norris
01-26-2008, 10:48 PM
Carter builds some good stuff. I bought the Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer because I was having trouble running an 1/8" blade on my big Grizzly. Wow... what a difference. I can make turns that I didnt think were possible on a bandsaw. And as a bonus, it fits my smaller Ridgid 14" BS. I like to make bandsawn boxes and being able to use a small blade is required. I keep looking at the Carter quick release at Hartville Hardware every time I am there. I think next time I am there, Im going to buy it.

Chuck Lenz
01-26-2008, 10:58 PM
A quick release should come with the saw. I had a go around with JET about it not too long ago. How much is it ? Nevermind, I looked. Too rich for my blood.