PDA

View Full Version : Buckey HF

Mike A. Smith
01-26-2008, 9:05 PM
I had a small piece of buckeye that didn't look like much. Don't you love surprises in your wood? Kinda looks like someone spilled their coffee. This little guy is 3" tall, 3.5" wide, .25" thick, and 1.25" opening. Sanded to 400 then down to 000 synthetic 'steel' wool. There is no finish yet, I may just use paste wax.

Comments and critiques are welcome. Also some advice. The opening is a bit large for this size HF (but as small as my skill allows). I'm considering either a collar or maybe collar & finial, but there may be so much going on with the wood a finial would be overkill. If I go that way I'm thinking something deep brown rather than ebony to match colors better. Any thoughts?

Ben Gastfriend
01-26-2008, 9:12 PM
I really like it. Many will give you formulas for calculating how big the opening should be based on the diameter of the piece, or the size of the base, but if it looks good, which it does, then who cares!

My personal opinion would be to get rid of the little flange on the bottom. I kinda like forms that have a continuous curve all the way down to the foot, but just personal preference.

Great work, and that wood is outstanding.

Bill Bolen
01-26-2008, 10:28 PM
That's a beaut!. Love the grain and the form...Bill...

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2008, 10:46 PM
Mike that is a beauty. Well done. Please post when you get a finish on it.

Alex Elias
01-26-2008, 10:50 PM
I agree with Ben. I'd like the flange off the base. That being said, I like the piece even if you don't, you've done great with what you have. As far a the collar goes it seems like a great idea. Best part of it is you can turn one and if you don't like it keep it the way it is.
Last thing about the finish. Why don't you wipe it with denat alcohol and see what kind of colors it brings out. It will dry clear again and then you can decide wether to use some blo, wax only or whatever you like.
Congrats again.

Arlan Ten Kley
01-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Nicely done, Mike. I like the wood too!

Richard Madison
01-26-2008, 11:15 PM
Mike,
Very, very pretty piece, except for that humongous flare-out at the bottom. Maybe could chainsaw it off.

Cosider leaving it unfinished for the moment and just turn a couple collars and finials to see how they look. A small collar would reduce the opening size, and/or a small finial might look cool.

Mike A. Smith
01-27-2008, 12:58 AM
I agree with Ben. I'd like the flange off the base. That being said, I like the piece even if you don't, you've done great with what you have. As far a the collar goes it seems like a great idea. Best part of it is you can turn one and if you don't like it keep it the way it is.
Last thing about the finish. Why don't you wipe it with denat alcohol and see what kind of colors it brings out. It will dry clear again and then you can decide wether to use some blo, wax only or whatever you like.
Congrats again.

One of my bad habits is I tend to get a bit lazy around the bottom. But I agree with you and Ben. I'll probably get rid of it before I finish it. I have used mineral spirits on it and the white parts turn sort of amber so that's what I would get with antique oil (or wax). It's pretty that way too.

Thanks for the comments all. I'll let you guys see what I come up with.

Tom Sherman
01-27-2008, 7:43 AM
I like it as is Mike, if you wanted to turn a collar for it you might try some Cocobolo or even Walnut. But that is only if you wanted to.

Skip Spaulding
01-27-2008, 9:57 AM
Nice piece, but I do agree with others on the base. A few coats of tung oil might amplify the beautiful natural grain and color. Looking forward to seeing finished product.

Paul Engle
01-27-2008, 10:11 AM
Neat piece, go with a foot and final like the Pastors, use something dark or dye it with ritz dye.Nice form.Classic.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2008, 11:21 AM
Nice work Mike! Great looking wood! The opening doesn't look to large to me but no harm in turning a collar and finial just to see what it adds to the form. I think if the collar and finial were very dark in color it wouldn't compete for attention with the buckeye. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Mike A. Smith
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Neat piece, go with a foot and final like the Pastors...

Exactly my thought when I saw Mike's piece! Kinda hated to be that obvious with the theft. Maybe I'll wait a few months until everybody and post it after everybody forgets!;)

robert hainstock
01-27-2008, 7:18 PM
Shellsc is a natural yellowing agent. Maybe--------:)
Bob

Paul Engle
01-28-2008, 9:55 AM
No theft Mike, I am sure he would not be offened in anyway, in fact I bet he would be next to encourage you ...;)

TYLER WOOD
01-28-2008, 1:06 PM
Not really my favorite form, but nicely done and great job on the finish. The wood is amazing!

Tim Gruss
01-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Mike, It is all personal opinion or preference. I think your piece is great, the flair at the bottom is unique. The opening in the top is fine the way it is. Some turning we do are merely art forms, with no intended utilitarian end use. I have found that the more I turn the more refined in my eyes my turnings are. Great Job. Thanks for sharing.Tim Gruss

Richard Madison
01-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Mike,
Just kidding about the "humongous flare-out". Obvious attempt to minimize it by maximizing it did not work. Focus on "very, very pretty piece". Tim expressed it well in previous post.

Mike A. Smith
01-30-2008, 8:23 AM
Mike,
Just kidding about the "humongous flare-out". Obvious attempt to minimize it by maximizing it did not work...

Richard, I caught your intent the first time;).

Thanks for everyone's comments. I do think I will clean up that 'humongous':D flange a bit. I've pretty much decided to leave the collar and finial off and just slap on some antique oil. I'll let you guys see the new colors when it's finished.