PDA

View Full Version : G0529 Spindle Sander

Jeff Miller
01-26-2008, 5:59 PM
Does anybody have one of these?

http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg288/g/g0529.jpg

Would like some opinions for those that have used one.

1- is it worth the price?

2- does it run smooth without vibration?

3-how is dust collection?

4- can you order it without the stand?

Thank You

Jeff;)

Eddie Simmons
01-26-2008, 6:37 PM
Just brought this sander and six other tools from Grizzly. I also brought the 2 hp oscillating edge sander model G0563 which I love. I would not buy the G0529 if I had it to do over. the G0563 will do the job of both. The G0563 is a lot more money. Every time I start the G0529, I think it is going to fly apart, very weird noise coming from the spindle gear box. I have only run it for a few minutes, to busy playing with the other toys. The G0563 is a great tool. I have a Rigid spindle sander that is just as good as the Grizzly. So far the five other tools are working well. The 20 inch G1033X is on back order until Feb 22. Will post what I think about it when I get it in the shop

Jeff Miller
01-26-2008, 11:20 PM
. I have a Rigid spindle sander that is just as good as the Grizzly.

Is this the Rigid sander you have?

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImage/d5d53144-f039-4696-b365-f9e82d9683bb_300.jpg

Thank You for your reply.

Jeff

Cary Swoveland
01-27-2008, 12:13 AM
Just brought this sander and six other tools from Grizzly. I also brought the 2 hp oscillating edge sander model G0563 which I love. I would not buy the G0529 if I had it to do over. the G0563 will do the job of both. The G0563 is a lot more money. Every time I start the G0529, I think it is going to fly apart, very weird noise coming from the spindle gear box. I have only run it for a few minutes, to busy playing with the other toys. The G0563 is a great tool. I have a Rigid spindle sander that is just as good as the Grizzly. So far the five other tools are working well. The 20 inch G1033X is on back order until Feb 22. Will post what I think about it when I get it in the shop

Eddie, I was glad to see your post, as I was wondering about this sander myself.

I too have a 6"x89" edge sander (General Interational) and find it extremely useful and a real time saver. I seem to be using it all the time.

I do think you may be stretching it by saying the "G0563 will do the job of both". A disc sander is better for getting a sharp, square edge on the end of a board, and an OSS can deal with much smaller inside radii, down to 1/4" or so.

Cary

Bryan Froden
01-27-2008, 8:28 AM
I have a Delta oscillating sander and use it all the time. It has a heavy base so there is no need to be bolted to a table. I am familiar with grizzly and have heard nothing but good stuff about their products. Either way you’re going to love this type of sander.
Good luck, Bryan

Eddie Simmons
01-27-2008, 2:27 PM
My Ridgid sander is older. To each his own, all I know is that it is a very noisy piece of equipment. I would not buy it if I had it over. We all use equipment in different ways. Good luck in getting a sander.
Thanks
Eddie

Tim Marks
01-27-2008, 3:19 PM
I visited Grizzly once with the intention of buying a G0529 so I could have both a spindle and disc sander. I decided after looking at the machine that I was not impressed. It looked cheap with stamped steel trunnions for tilting the table and a relatively small spindle table. I decided I would not be happy unless I bought the G1071, which seemed to be twice the machine for only $120 more.

I ended up buying the G0563 instead, since I primarily needed a sander to sand flat surfaces, and this sander also had a spindle attachment. I think I will still end up also getting a G1071. BTW, I also thought that the cheaper edge sanders were significantly inferior in construction, and I would not be happy with them.

Brandon Burns
01-27-2008, 3:22 PM
I got the G0529 a couple of months ago. It is the smoothest and most quiet machine in my shop. No vibration at all. Dust collection for the disc sander works pretty good. I just wish the table was larger for the spindle sander.

Jeremy Williams
03-04-2009, 8:22 AM
I got the G0529 a couple of months ago. It is the smoothest and most quiet machine in my shop. No vibration at all. Dust collection for the disc sander works pretty good. I just wish the table was larger for the spindle sander.

Brandon - If you are still around .... what do you think of this sander after all this time? Still impressed?

I'm in a position where I have an oscillating edge sander, a disc/belt sander combo, and the Ridgid edge/spindle sander combo. I'm selling off the Ridgid and disc/belt sander, but want to replace them with a disc/spindle sander. The only one on the market I could find that wasn't 3-phase and 3000lbs was this Grizzly. I had hoped for a little more "beef" than it seems to have (cast iron trunnions, larger table, larger disc), but it would work if that's all I can find. The price seems reasonable, maybe a bit high.

Anyway ... for those of you who have one ... what do you think after much use? Worth it?