PDA

View Full Version : Half blind dovetails too tight.

Paul Coffin
01-26-2008, 4:41 PM
Hi,

I am using my Porter Cable dovetail jig for the first time. I am making half blind dovetails for shop cabinet drawers. I am using 1/2 inch thick baltic birch plywood. I have made a couple sets of joints made now but they seem ro fit very tightly. To dry fit them I have to pound them together with a hammer. The jig manual says to adjust the router to male a shallower cut if the fit is too tight. I have done this once and the new sample was also very tight. Do you think I am doing something wrong? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Lee Schierer
01-26-2008, 5:27 PM
Try decreasing the depth of cut just a bit (1/64 "). This will loosen up the dovetail. My router jig came with the following hint: Heighten/tighten Lower/loosen

If your joints come out too loose, add a bit more depth of cut.

Steve Clardy
01-26-2008, 6:00 PM
4212?

Theres a quick instruction sticker on the left side of the jig.
Follow those.
You may have to adjust several times to get it correct.

Joe Chritz
01-26-2008, 6:25 PM
You can't "go back and touch up" a half blind dovetail that is cut in a jig.

You should shoot for a joint just snug enough that you can rap it together with your hand and it will stay put.

1/2 blinds only have one adjustment and they can be a bit fussy. After 200 drawers it gets easier.

Joe

ryan feasel
01-19-2021, 4:03 PM
449864Looking for a little help on this really old thread. What adjustment do I need to make on the jig/router to reduce the gap as show in the pic? Thanks!!!

Steve Clardy
01-19-2021, 9:03 PM
Try raising the bit up

Bill Dufour
01-19-2021, 9:16 PM
Ounce you have it set never use that router for anything else. Buy another router and use a 1/4" straight bit to rough out the dovetails.
Bill D

Lee Schierer
01-19-2021, 9:20 PM
To clarify, make your bit stick out past the base plate a bit more.