PDA

View Full Version : Veneering over a finished surface

Jay Jolliffe
01-26-2008, 3:36 PM
Has anyone applied veneer over a finished panel. I have to figure a way to veneer the inside of a cabinet that houses a microwave.You'll e able to see the sides & bottom. Every other place is behind a door or drawer. If it can be done I'll resaw some purple heart and apply it. The face frames, doors & drawer fronts will be the same purple heart. Will the polyurethane adhesive work if spread thin?. If it make a difference the finish on the cabinet is satin polycrylic.

Gordon Harner
02-13-2008, 11:38 AM
From my experience I would use contact cement. This is really the only bonding agent that will bond to a finished surface. Be sure to clean the surface in the cabinet first. Naptha, mineral spirits, simple green should work. I wouldn't use polyurethane too messy and hard to clamp.

robert hainstock
02-13-2008, 1:43 PM
Use the contact cement follow the directions, and use at least two dowels to support the panel until you are sure that you are ready to apply. Then pull out one dowel at a time. Apply cement out of a can with a wide putty type knife and spread very evenly. Luck! :)
Bob

Jim Becker
02-13-2008, 2:33 PM
And...be sure to thoroughly clean the previously finished surface first, especially if this was already in an active kitchen. You must use the "good stuff", too as many basic household cleaners leave a reside or do not fully remove grease.

Carl Eyman
02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
I've done considerable contact cement veneer work. Some more successful than the other. The Constantine Company located in Florida sells what they call veneer glue. It acts and is used just like contact cement, but to my mind works with wood better than the usual stuff you use on laminate. This may be imagination, but considering the risk of having to do the job over, I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's a hassle to have to order it mail order, but in my opinion worth the trouble.