PDA

View Full Version : Project: Baby Cradle

Joe Unni
01-26-2008, 3:13 PM
Hey all,

I haven't posted for a while (details coming soon), but here is my latest project. A baby cradle for my sister in-law's first. The cradle was completed in time for the Jan 6th shower and she loved it. And wouldn't you know Emma Rose was born 1 week later. She wasn't even due until the first week of February! Mom, dad and baby are doing well.

The cradle was a significantly modified version of a plan I found on the web some 8 years ago.

Wood: quarter sawn curly white oak with African mahogany corner posts and center slats.
Joinery: 88 mortises (thankfully I've a bench top mortiser), basket corners were joined with glue, screws and plugs (time was a factor), the stretcher between the verticals has threaded inserts to accomodate knock down fasteners
Details: the profile on the verticals was done with a combination of router bits and hand shaping, the plugs on the long sides of the basket are white oak taken from old flooring from the house my sister in-law she grew up in.
Finish: 2 coats Watco Danish Oil Natural, brown paper bagged in between coats followed by a coat of antique mahogany wax (not planned, but I tried it on a test and it made the curl pop) and then a coat of clear wax.

Any and all comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking,
-joe

Bruce Page
01-26-2008, 3:28 PM
Joe, that looks nice. I made a similar one for my granddaughter a few years ago. Do you have a close up of the swing hardware? I can’t tell what you have there.

Joe Unni
01-26-2008, 3:35 PM
Joe, that looks nice. I made a similar one for my granddaughter a few years ago. Do you have a close up of the swing hardware? I can’t tell what you have there.

Sorry Bruce I don't. It's basically an eyed lag screw into the basket ends and a hooks on the verticals.

Jim Becker
01-26-2008, 10:37 PM
Beautiful work, Joe!

David Tiell
01-26-2008, 11:43 PM
Very nice, Joe!

gary Zimmel
01-27-2008, 1:22 AM
Joe

Beautiful job on the craddle.