PDA

View Full Version : Problem With DeWalt Planer Feed Rollers

Glen Blanchard
01-26-2008, 2:59 PM
I have a DeWalt DW733 that has always worked extremely well. Here in the last week or so, I have noticed that my stock is not being fed through smoothly (as in, one continuous, uninterrupted motion) any longer. In fact, I am having to do a fair amount of pulling on the outfeed side to help it along.

I am fairly sure that the recommendations I have read in the past for this problem consisted of cleaning the rollers with isopropyl alcohol - which I have done - a couple of times now. This has not made an appreciable difference. Are there other recommendations? I would think that using Acetone would be less than desirable. Do these rollers sometimes need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance.

Steve Campbell
01-26-2008, 3:39 PM
Glen Clean off your planer table and put on a coat of Johnson's paste wax. You won't believe the difference.

Steve

Matt Schroeder
01-26-2008, 4:28 PM
I was having the same problem with feeding the wood through. I waxed the in/outfeed tables and the base plate of the planer. Wow. Smooth feed again, thank goodness. I don't know if it was related, but the little bit of snipe I was getting disappeared as well. I have a Makita 13" planer.

Todd Jensen
01-26-2008, 6:08 PM
X3 to the above. I have the same planer and it wasn't feeding great when new - found the above recommendation and waxed the tables(infeed/outfeed/main) and HOO-AAH, baby, slicker than a greased goose. I think it may be the most under-rated planer advice(though its gaining momentum). Good luck!:D

George Summers
01-26-2008, 6:31 PM
Besides the roller cleaning and the waxing (both of which are important), are your knives sharp?

George

Glen Blanchard
01-26-2008, 8:23 PM
Simply amazing. I am humbled by the wisdom here. A layer of wax and a little bit of elbow grease, and wow.....problem solved.

Thanks guys !!!!