PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on shop sanders

Kevin Hogfeldt
01-26-2008, 2:48 PM
I am looking to add a sander to my shop. Grizzly has a combination 12" disk and oscilating drum. it looks good for compactness. My concerns are that it has only upto 2" drums and small travel. Anyone have any experience they could share.

Kevin

Dennis Hatchett
01-26-2008, 3:17 PM
I am looking to add a sander to my shop. Grizzly has a combination 12" disk and oscilating drum. it looks good for compactness. My concerns are that it has only upto 2" drums and small travel. Anyone have any experience they could share.

Kevin

I think you are wise to be concerned about the small size of the drums. I seem to use the 4" much more than my 1 inch drum.

The fact is that while the combo machines seem like a good deal, they are a compromise that gives up features and power that you will probably need. I'd buy the best oscillating spindle sander you could afford with at least a 4 inch spindle and find other ways to sand flat surfaces.

I'm biased against disc sanders and most combo machines because I had one. It never was up to the work I wanted it to do. The Oscillating Spindle sander is another story. I use it extensively on almost every project. Once I purchased and restored a heavy duty old Boice Craine Oscillating Spindle Sander, I waited and saved for the Jet oscillating edge sander and it was worth the wait rather than settling for another little combo.

Brian J Rogalny
01-26-2008, 9:47 PM
What ever you do not buy the 12" baby drum sander, the worst machine I have ever owned and the worst customer service I ever dealt with.

Todd Lord
01-27-2008, 5:04 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm curios as to whether you are useing the drum sander on turning projects? If so in what way do you use it.
I have a Rigid brand and it has the drum/belt sander, I use the belt sander for my segmented turning and love it but I have never used the drum.
P.S. It only has 2" max drums.

Gordon Harner
01-27-2008, 5:43 PM
I took another approach. I have the Grizzly combo 6" belt and 9"? disc #1014. For the oscillating sander I got the PC portable don't remember the # and mounted in a bench top table. I like all of the portability options (also have Rockwell 3x21 belt sander. Whenever I can I try to find aportable solution because my shop is small and sometimes it's easier to take the tool to the work.