PDA

View Full Version : Cost of UPS store

James Hart
01-26-2008, 12:59 PM
This is a 'for what it's worth' post.

A few years back, I did several hundred tool auctions on a certain site. Shipped a lot of very heavy stuff a lot of different ways.

I've seen a few posts on this forum mention using the UPS store to pack and ship things. I don't want to start a debate on shippers.

The amount the UPS store will charge you to pack something is obscene. They use materials that are readily available at Staples. FYI- the foam peanuts are basically useless for heavy items. They allow the item to shift around until the package is very out of balance and the item is resting right against the side of the box. Multiple layers, and I do mean multiple, of cardboard box works best to keep an item in place and protected from impact.

Jim

David G Baker
01-26-2008, 4:49 PM
James,
At one time I did a lot of Ebay auctions and discovered real early that if I have something heavy to ship UPS is a great way to ship it, but I had to pack the item myself or I was going to get bad feed back from my buyers. There are some UPS stores that do a very good job of packaging but the cost is out of line and can cost almost as much as the item being sold.
Smaller items that will fit in the Post Office flat rate box can weigh as much as 70 lbs, as long as the item fits in the box, for a flat fee that is under $10.
Never try to send an over-sized box and have it packed and shipped by UPS to Alaska.
I purchase many of my shipping supplies from that auction site. I also save every well made box that enters my home for shipping items at a later date.

Christopher Pine
01-26-2008, 6:30 PM
I have been very happy with Fed Ex Ground. I am fortunate enought to have a fed ex location by me. (NOt a fed ex kinkos) an actual fed ex place. Seems to be very reasonable on shipping and I have allways packaged my own stuff.
I agree I reuse packaging whenver I can. Wasteful not to!

Ben Gastfriend
01-26-2008, 9:29 PM
Usually, I use USPS Priority mail. It seems like their price is good. I can print off a shipping label online, and I always package my own stuff. Couple of layers of bubble wrap, some old newspaper, and a box.

Atleast it's better than going to a pack and ship place where they charge a small fortune for little pieces of foam.

Jon Bonham
01-27-2008, 5:48 PM
USPS is BY FAR the worst way to ship heavy or large boxes, as large boxes are charged at higher weight rates.

The best way to ship something to keep it from shifting is to double box it. Small box, packed with peanuts or the air filled poly, then put that in a larger box filled with peanuts.

The key to keep it from shifting is to complete pack it until you can't put anymore peanuts inside. Most people only fill a box about 75% full. Believe me, I've shipped thousands more boxes than most people have even seen, it ain't rocket science.

Peter Stahl
01-28-2008, 6:54 AM
I save the bubble wrap I get and use that as newspaper adds weight. I don't do a lot of shipping, mostly to my Daughter who is in the Navy. I use USPS as the ride to UPS or Fedex would negate any savings. Also I don't think their prices are to bad. Most small things I get from internet orders come through USPS and get here in a descent amount of time. Rarely get Fedex deliveries but the UPS deliveries are fast for ground service.

Pete Simmons
01-28-2008, 8:09 AM
I think you will find that USPS Priority Mail is really handled by FedX.

I mentioned one day at the Post Office "Why do you have a FedX drop box outside?"

They said we have a deal with FedX, they do our Priority Mail.

Joe Pelonio
01-28-2008, 8:22 AM
I ship every day, UPS. After a year of it I got the commercial rates and with that it ends up being a good deal. I package everything myself, buying boxes and other materials from Uline but also re-using when I can.

I had a chat with a UPS store owner, actually tried to get him to let me re-do his old worn out truck lettering. When people like me drop off pre-paid packages there they only get 55 cents per package, and not much more than that when they do the label. Where they make their money is on packaging.

Larry James
01-30-2008, 11:24 PM
I seldom ship anything, but I do order online from many of the WWing web sites. For me a major problem is packing. No names, but there are some well known suppliers I'll only buy from as a last resort. One shipment had 4 heavy 4" casters on top of a WWII saw blade in a box with no other packing. Another package with Bessey K body clamps only had paper packing on the sides and a single layer of cardboard on the ends. I could go on ...

Larry