PDA

View Full Version : A Little Cranky

Tyler Howell
03-03-2004, 10:19 AM
Soggy Bottom Men and Women.
Looking for a hand crank to replace the tensioning knob on my BS. Also want to get one for the Router table as well. Can you suggest a source of such devices. I'm dealing with a wide variety of shaft sizes and threads so adjustable all purpose cranks would be good.
Has anyone tried the quick release blade tensioning lever offered by Carter for the Band Saw??
Thanks!;)

Charles McKinley
03-03-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi Tyler,

If you do not have the Iturra Designs catalog I would get it. I have only heard good things about them and the catalog is a great wealth of information. He has all knids of stuff to trick out your BS. If you need the phone number, no web site unless it is very new, I can dig out my catalog.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2004, 10:43 AM
Reid Tool is a good source of knobs, cranks, and stuff, in most common industrial sizes. For the bandsaw you might want to look at Louis Iturra, he sells a replacement crank and threaded rod that are a beefier unit than the Delta and Jet.

Rob Bourgeois
03-03-2004, 11:14 AM
[so adjustable all purpose cranks would be good. [/i][/b][/color]
Has anyone tried the quick release blade tensioning lever offered by Carter for the Band Saw??
Thanks!;)

GLOAT WARNING

Tyler...If you want to wait a few days I can tell you how that Carter lever works. It comes with my new Powermatic 14 in bandsaw that should be here the end of this week or begining of next week. I dont know how much of a hurry you are in.

Rob..trying to figure where to put the bandsaw in a little shop.

Jamie Buxton
03-03-2004, 11:17 AM
When I wanted a speed crank for tensioning my old 14" bandsaw, suppliers wanted $40 or $50 for one. Instead, I drilled and tapped the OEM metal knob so I could screw an arm with a knob on to it. Total time: 20 minutes. Total cost: zero. It might not be pretty, but it worked just fine.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2004, 11:18 AM
Chuck and Steve thanks. I found Reid
tools on the Net.
Iturra Designs doesn't show up on the Web or yellow Pages. If I could trouble you for a number I would be very greatful. I would even be quiet for a while if that is an insentive

Tyler Howell
03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
When I wanted a speed crank for tensioning my old 14" bandsaw, suppliers wanted $40 or $50 for one. Instead, I drilled and tapped the OEM metal knob so I could screw an arm with a knob on to it. Total time: 20 minutes. Total cost: zero. It might not be pretty, but it worked just fine.
Jamie In my short search, I'm seeing $50-120. I can do a lot of cranking for that price.......But they are tools.....And it's only money.:p

Thanks Rob. I'll stand by for your report.

Steven Wilson
03-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Chuck and Steve thanks. I found Reid
tools on the Net.
Iturra Designs doesn't show up on the Web or yellow Pages. If I could trouble you for a number I would be very greatful. I would even be quiet for a while if that is an insentive

1-888-722-7078

Daniel Rabinovitz
03-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Tyler
Iturra Designs - 888.722.7078
"By the by" this catalog should be required reading for any woodworker.

Lou Iturra wanted to sell me a Carter Quick Release when I ordered a bunch of stuff about a year ago. It is a real good addition to the 14 inch bandsaws etc.
Instead, I unwind 3 turns on the crank wheel that I purchased from Iturra designs.

So go for it or as suggested get a crank wheel from somewhere.
Daniel :cool:

Byron Trantham
03-03-2004, 2:41 PM
Tyler
"By the by" this catalog should be required reading for any woodworker.

Lou Iturra wanted to sell me a Carter Quick Release when I ordered a bunch of stuff about a year ago. It is a real good addition to the 14 inch bandsaws etc.
Instead, I unwind 3 turns on the crank wheel that I purchased from Iturra designs.

So go for it or as suggested get a crank wheel from somewhere.
Daniel :cool:

Daniel, done! Can't wait to read the catalog. Thanks for the tip.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2004, 2:49 PM
[QUOTE=Daniel Rabinovitz]Tyler

Steven and Danial.
Lou sounded a little flustered from answering the phone for all the catalogue requests or I interupted him from counting all his money from the SMC crowd. Thanks a lot guys.

Jim Becker
03-03-2004, 3:09 PM
The hand wheel I had on my Jet 14" saw before selling it I got off the bargan table at a local Woodcraft for $4 that ceased to exist a few years ago. I'm on the road, so I don't have the picture to show you, but can post it when I return home. But Itura or Reid Tool are good choices for similar wheels. At worst, you'll need some form of bushing to adapt to the post on the tool. What I did was actually "turn down" the original knob to fit inside the bore of the replacement wheel. That wheel also had one of those handles that made for much easier and faster one-hand operation.

Tyler Howell
03-03-2004, 3:19 PM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]The hand wheel I had on my Jet 14" saw before selling it I got off the bargan table at a local Woodcraft for $4 that ceased to exist a few

Thanks Jim,
I did my research at your Web sight before I started on this venture.

Michael Ballent
03-03-2004, 8:57 PM
From Rockler.com... Below is the part number and it's $35
20410 Quick-Crank Bandsaw Tensioner

Something else for you to knaw on ;)

-Michael

Tyler Howell
03-22-2004, 3:00 PM
[QUOTE=Michael Ballent]From Rockler.com... Below is the part number and it's $35
20410 Quick-Crank Bandsaw Tensioner

Something else for you to knaw on ;)

Michael,
Took your advise and got the Rockler. Working just fine. ;)The Iturra Cat. is out of print and I was dead in the water. :(
For all you waiting, Lou said "when it gets back from the printer":confused:,