PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone used a laser in an unheated building?

Dee Gallo
01-26-2008, 10:42 AM
I am considering moving my 2 lasers, soon to be 3, to an outbuilding since my studio is getting crowded. Nowhere in the manual does it mention if there is a temperature requirement for operation. I am in the north, where it gets very cold...obviously I can put in some heat, but would not want to leave the heat on when I'm not working in there. Does anyone know if this would hurt the laser, make it operate badly, corrode something or whatever? Thanks for any input.

- dee

Bruce Volden
01-26-2008, 11:22 AM
I would heat the area to a point where you wouldn't have to worry about condensation on the engraver (tube). Condensation and laser mix like oil and water. Also cold is hard on computers (HDD) but this could be worked around with 10 base T from "the office" computer. Quick things that sprang into my mind anyway :confused:

Bruce

Benedict Roussos
01-26-2008, 11:43 AM
How cold is your new building?? I have the same problem. In a winter morning my laser room has 7-12 degrees centigrade. When I bought the ULS v460 50 watt the saler told me to avoid using it in cold because the heat from the beam it may cracks the lens. A tecnician who did the service few weeks ago told me: "the hot weather you should be afraid of, I have seen problems in machinery from exess heat and not from cold"
Anyway when there is too much cold I just prefer to heat a little the room first with a small heater blower. (the laser room is only 9sq.m.)

Dee Gallo
01-26-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks to Bruce and Benedict for your comments - I guess the building would have to be brought up to above freezing at the very least for a few hours before using the laser in order to avoid condensation, is that the consensus?

How about long-term standing around in the cold when it's not being used? Any opinions on whether that would cause a problem?

I planned to carry my laptop from the house out there when I want to use it, to avoid the computer freezing - literally.

- dee

James Stokes
01-26-2008, 2:13 PM
Depends on the laser. I have a Vytek with a Universal tube. It will not fire unless it is 60 degrees, My Epilog fires no matter how cold it is. If it is below 40 degrees it is to cold for me though.

Dee Gallo
01-26-2008, 7:17 PM
So you've had no adverse effects from storing your lasers in a cold space? I wouldn't like working out there if it's 40° or less either!

Thanks for the help, James.

Robert Alexander
01-26-2008, 7:24 PM
I have my laser in a outbuilding. I have set the thermostate for the lowest setting which is 45 degrees when I am not in the building. But my laser is in the northeast corner of the shop, so I know the temprature has been lower. I have been operating the laser for 2 winters with no problems. Last week the temp was -7 degrees in the morning.:eek:

James Stokes
01-26-2008, 9:35 PM
No I have not had any problems with the lasers, But I have had problems with flat screen monitors. Last winter it got down to about 25 degrees and my monitor quit, I have also lost a couple when the temp was over a 100. I do not see any adverse reactions on the lasers though.

Bill Cunningham
01-26-2008, 10:47 PM
If your building is well insulated, the heat bill should not be that much with a programmable thermostat.. My work shop is 1100 sq feet on two floors, I keep it at 68 during the workday, it drops to 60 at night and weekends, and I burn 800 Cubic meters of gas a year about $450.00 bucks worth.. Insulation, is a lot cheaper than fuel, no matter what your burning... My heat comes up at about 8am and I open at 9 so the laser has had a hour to rise with the ambient temperature, and it always fires right up no problems.. (yet)..

Mike Ross
01-27-2008, 10:47 AM
I have minimal heat in the shop. When it gets cold I put a light under the laser bed and leave it on. The incandescent bulb keeps it pretty toasty and dry in there. Its eliminated erratic behavior on cold days.

Mike

Mark Winlund
01-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Ever seen machinery that was stored in a barn? 'Nuff said.

Mark

pete hagan
01-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Anytime you have temp swings with metal you invite condensation. In Kentucky it's not that cold but moderate humidity 50-60% usually. For that very reason I run a dehumidifier 24X7 in my small shop (3500 sqft) along with the forced air gas heater set for 45 f at night and 60 f during daytime when I am there working. I have an ocean container next to my building that is for storage. It is unheated / uncooled. The steel stock that I have in there for storage has a slight surface rust just from this cycling of temp and humidity.

Also the water in your tube (CO2 glass tube laser) will freeze.

Pete

Dee Gallo
01-27-2008, 1:40 PM
Wow - freezing the water in the tube - very bad. Considering we are in arctic temps and have long winters, I guess it's time to rearrange the studio inside and I guess I'll be getting rid of my unused Chinese laser - anybody need one CHEEP? I'll be listing it in the SMC classified ads.

Mark - this is an outbuilding which is timber frame, same as our barn, but much cleaner with new sheathing. But still, you have a point.

All in all, this equipment is too expensive and too necessary to take a chance. Oh well so much for getting some extra space freed up. Thanks everyone, you've been a great help as usual!

-dee

Sandra Force
01-28-2008, 2:13 PM
I run lasers in the NW in a lightly heated building that is under insulated. I have to keep an eye out for condesation, and use RV antifreeze in my water based chillers. In the summer I have to shut down when the temp is over 95 in the laser area. The degredations in the laser beam at that point is large enough to affect the engraving and it is extremly hard to keep the temp in the machine down to a acceptable level. I would suggest that at the very least you insulate and keep the heat level to 55 degrees F.