PDA

View Full Version : Router Bit Set Advice

Ben Martin
01-26-2008, 10:18 AM
I just got back from Woodcraft bag sale and was able to "bag" (no pun intended...) the Whiteside 10 Essential Router Bit set, for $209.99 (originally $279.99) after 25% discount, it actually rang up $20 too much, so I need to get credited back that, so final price should be around $190. The set includes:

1/4" straight bit (1/4" shank)
1/2" straight bit
3/8" spiral-fluted up cutting straight bit (solid carbide)
Rabbeting bit with four bearings
1/2" dovetail bit, 10 degree
1/4" roundover bit
3/8" radius cove bit
45 chamfer bit, 1 1/4" dia.)
Three-wing slot cutter, 1/4" thick
1/2" flush trimming bit, 1 1/2" long cut

Now I see that Holbren sales the 7 piece set for $88 which inlcudes:

1/4" Straight
1/2" Straight
3/8" Radius Round Over
3/8" x 1/2" Rabbet
3/8" Radius Cove
45 degree Chamfer
1/2" Flush Trim

These are the first bits that I am buying, I am a newb, and wanted a good set that I could get some good use out of. My question is, why should I not return the set I bought at Woodcraft and get the set from Holbren? The difference in the sets is the 3/8" spircal, slot cutter and 1/2" dovetail bit. Are those three bits worth the more than double the price? I am feeling like I got ripped off. I don't want to get stuck with a set of bits that I won't use the 3 that I paid extra for.

Ps. I am also a little mad because I found the same set that I bought at Woodcraft online for a regular price of $207.99, so there 25% discount just brought it on par with other retailors...

scott spencer
01-26-2008, 10:22 AM
There's a big difference in price. I'd probably lean toward the 7 pc set, and apply the remaining funds towards specific profiles I wanted. The 7 pc set doesn't include an ogee, so that'd be one I'd add...YMMV.

Holbren sells the 7pc set for $80 shipped with the "SMC10" discount code...

glenn bradley
01-26-2008, 10:31 AM
You have a great Whiteside set there. That being said, the method I use is to buy cheaper bits when I'm not sure how much they'll be used. Once I establish a profile that I use frequently in my work, I buy good ones of that profile.

As you are starting out it is impossible to say where your hobby may take you. You could fall down the slippery slope and end up doing lathe work or some other sinful activity :p.

Despite the fact that I now buy Whiteside whenever possible, then Freud, then 'whatever'; I am leaning towards you getting the cheaper set till you know what you will use.

Not that it applies to you and what you MAY do but here's some of my daily 'users' when it comes to bits, in order of frequency as close as I can guess:

Chamfer (have 3 or 4)
Flush trim (have half a dozen)
Rabbet (3 or 4)
Spiral up and downcuts 1/4" and 3/8" (a couple 1/4" and 3 x 3/8")
Decorative profile as desired. (you don't want to know)
Then all the rest . . .

HTH ;)

Richard M. Wolfe
01-26-2008, 10:35 AM
I have a rule of thumb about sets of anything...router bits, drill bits, etc. I take a look at the set to see just what I know I will use out of what's there. If the price for the individuals I know I will use adds up to more than the price of the set then I seriously consider the set. I have had occasion to use things I acquired that way that I didn't think I'd use at the time but have some things that I doubt ever get used. Nothing is a good buy if you don't use it.....unless you can peddle it to someone else. :)

Brian Gumpper
01-30-2008, 11:01 AM
That 10 piece set is a nice set but entry cost is high. What caught me as somewhat funny is they put a 3/8" spiral bit in there for I assume mortising but they don't include the appropriate roundover bit to make the tenons.