PDA

View Full Version : Check Out This New Eee PC Linux sub-notebook

Keith Outten
01-26-2008, 9:30 AM
If you are looking for portability and something really different this might interest you...the Eee PC from ASUS. This is Jackie"s new 4meg machine, my 8meg Eee PC is on order.

It runs Linux not Microsoft Windows but Windows XP is available if you prefer. I like the Linux version myself and the reduced liability of viruses. Not one dollar from the sale of this machine went to Redmond, Washington :)

It has no hard drive, instead is uses flash memory so it uses less power and is more shock resistant. There is an SD card slot built in so you can add storage space or copy pictures, video or MP3's from your SD cards to the machine or play them direct from the card. You can also use a Jump Drive in any of the four USB ports and it has a video port for connecting a large monitor and of course you can plug in a USB keyboard if you feel the need.

It is WiFi enabled right out of the box and has a built in camera and LAN jack. The browser that is installed is Mozilla Firefox.

It weighs only a couple of pounds and comes well stocked with software for business and fun with Open Office, PIM and lots of games. You can customize it and add/delete programs to suit your needs.

Did I mention it is a Linux Box :)

Something else I found recently that is interesting is IPod Linux. You can upload a version of Linux to your IPod and do a lot more than play music.

www.ipodlinux.org

Randal Stevenson
01-26-2008, 11:11 AM
Keith,

Please let me know, once you have used it a while, two things.

Battery life (your average and longest, please) and any issues with installing your own software.

I looked at it when it first came out, but between them talking about a larger model, and not saying anything about upgradability, I am leaning more toward the Via Processor model laptops, like the NC1610 at Walmart, with Ubuntu (or gOS, or etc...).

Thanks
LinuxRandal on another forum. :)

Keith Outten
01-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Randal,

At this point we don't know about battery life. Several people have been using it and it bounces all over the place so nobody has used it long enough to get an idea how long it will run on a charge.

ASUS has a web site that offers software installs but I haven't visited it yet to see what is available. Being a Linux box I doubt that software would be a problem and I know there are plenty of hacks going on already. People are upgrading the ram and learning to connect just about every kind of device imaginable.

I heard there is a model with a 10" screen coming soon, the down side is that it will be a larger machine. We own full-size laptops so the small size and portability is what makes the Eee PC attractive...kind of like a large palm pilot that is a full blown computer.

There is a rumor that a touch screen is in the works.

We will let you know.

Randy Cohen
01-26-2008, 11:54 AM
is that about $300?

Jackie Outten
01-26-2008, 12:55 PM
I took my computer in to show to my students one day last week and we used it for about 3 hours before I plugged in to an electrical outlet.

Price on the computer that I have is $399 and it comes in pearlized white, black, pink, green and blue.

Jackie

Lee DeRaud
01-26-2008, 2:11 PM
People are upgrading the ram and learning to connect just about every kind of device imaginable.The PC Mag review mentioned the smallish RAM (512MB?) as one drawback, and (at that time) adding third-party RAM voided the warranty. Is that no longer true?

Randy Cohen
01-26-2008, 2:44 PM
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-2g-surf-7-notebook-pure-white-intel-mobile-cpu-512mb-2gb/q/loc/101/206655759.html

Keith Outten
01-26-2008, 3:24 PM
The PC Mag review mentioned the smallish RAM (512MB?) as one drawback, and (at that time) adding third-party RAM voided the warranty. Is that no longer true?

Lee,

I think it is still true, the warranty is void if you replace the internal ram. I don't think I will let it stop me when mine gets here though :) There is a video on uTube that shows how simple it is to change out the ram chip, the procedure is about the same as any laptop and takes about 30 seconds. I believe a 16 meg chip is available that works perfectly. It should be noted that Linux is more efficient managing ram than MS software is so there isn't as much need to expand memory on the Eee PC unless you intend to install Windows XP.

Randy, your link above is to the Eee Pc Surf model which is the same machine without the built-in camera. Prices range from $313.00 to $499.00 depending on the model you choose.

Eee PC's are a bit hard to find and most vendors have them back-ordered so there will most likely be a wait involved unless you are willing to purchase the 4 meg model. I expect mine to be delivered in late February.

Randy Cohen
01-26-2008, 5:10 PM
Randy, your link above is to the Eee Pc Surf model which is the same machine without the built-in camera. Prices range from $313.00 to $499.00 depending on the model you choose.

thanks for pointing that out. i was wondering why there was such a big price difference.

Randal Stevenson
01-26-2008, 6:37 PM
I appreciate that.

My concerns with the EE, are : How upgradeable is it (software wise, future versions with desired features). Space for upgrading software (wardriving and network security software). Wifi range.

Currently I don't have a laptop, and to transport data, I have multiple USB keys and hard drives, as well as the normal cd/dvd options. At one point there was talk about a future internal HD capability or large flash drives.