PDA

View Full Version : R2611 RO sander substitute for DA sander?

Deuce Lee
01-26-2008, 9:01 AM
hey folks...i'm looking at the Ridgid R2611 (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100523155&N=10000003+90401+500897)random orbital sander. I'll be getting it for under $104 so don't worry i'm not paying full price...I also see it's no longer made by Matebo, but it's still got the lifetime service thing so i'm not too worried...

the thing is i only have a dewalt D55146 (200psi, 4.5gal portable compressor) for home projects. I know DA sanders are air hogs. I'm looking to buy a IR 60 gal compressor in 5-10 years but not now.

Would the ridgid kind of work well for a substitute for a DA sander? I do some auto work too and I'd like to do some body sanding sometimes...

I really like the 1/8 or 1/4" orbital diameter selection on the 2611...any other suggestions for a non-air RO sander?

Scott Banbury
01-26-2008, 12:27 PM
I use one and like it but it doesn't spin so I don't think you'd get good feathering on bondo.

If you do get one, pay attention to that sliding switch that changes the orbit size--I just had to completely strip the stain off a 52'' x 10' kitchen island top that I had accidentally switched to 1/4" orbit during the final sanding. :(

Wade Lippman
01-26-2008, 2:45 PM
I bought a couple of the 2610 when HD closed them out last year and like them. In fact, they do spin! I was sanding the edge of my new router table yesterday and you can see the edge move around. Whether it will feather, I have no idea.

Good luck with the lifetime warranty though. When I bought the 2610 I had to register with Rigid for it; I guess they hoped people wouldn't bother. They rejected my receipt as fake, so I didn't get the lifetime warranty. Odd that HD would issue fake receipts, but go figure.

Deuce Lee
01-26-2008, 4:02 PM
i see what you guys are saying...it spins but it doesn't fully spin and orbit like a DA sander...

its like those cheap polishers u find at the store for $20 where it goes up, down, left, right and somewhat spins...i didn't know those didn't spin until a buddy of mine turned one on and pressed it on my chest, i thought it was going to spin and rip my shirt off, instead it just rubbed me...

i'll go check it out next week then...

thanks...