PDA

View Full Version : Going neander cold turkey

Dan Barr
01-26-2008, 2:10 AM
like quitting smoking. lol

well, i'm moving to england and im leaning towards leaving my tails (power tools) behind. if i do, i sure as heck aint going to pay british prices on new tools. there wouldnt be any money left over for wood.

So, im seriously contemplating going neander for the next 3-6 years.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dan

Pam Niedermayer
01-26-2008, 2:17 AM
Do it, will be good for you.

Pam

Stephen Jackson
01-26-2008, 2:39 AM
like quitting smoking. lol

well, i'm moving to england and im leaning towards leaving my tails (power tools) behind. if i do, i sure as heck aint going to pay british prices on new tools. there wouldnt be any money left over for wood.

So, im seriously contemplating going neander for the next 3-6 years.

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dan
Dan, enjoy England while you have the opportunity. I made the westward trip from there 5 years ago. In case you are not aware (but I'm sure you are), you wouldn't be able to use your own tails there, the power supply is different.

Tom Lauder
01-26-2008, 7:36 AM
Hi all

all site tools are now 110v by law in the UK, if you want to bring your tails all you will need is a site transformer like this.
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/16158/Electrical/Industrial/Site-Distribution/110V-Accessories-3kVA-Transformer
and some plugs.

Cheers

Tom

Mike Cutler
01-26-2008, 8:30 AM
Dan

Have a great time in the UK. It is absolutley beautiful there.
Get out, explore, meet folks, become part of it. Leave the American behind. Lose the mindset of "Well in the US we could ....". If you are polite and sincere, you will have no problems. I loved it there. It's an amazing opportunity.
Neander sounds great. You may even want to see if you can pick up some tools over there that can't be purchased here.
There are more than a few 'Creekers here from the UK. Get in touch with them. I know Jim Becker does business in England from time to time and meets up with some of the folks.

Two things that my time in the UK have jaded me toward. I can't drink domestic beers, and I haven't had proper fish and chips since I left.(We don't have the correct vinegar here.);)

Hey Tom. Does that transformer also perform the frequency shift Don would need if he brought his power tools? The US machines are 120V/60 HZ.

Tom Lauder
01-26-2008, 9:30 AM
Hey Tom. Does that transformer also perform the frequency shift Don would need if he brought his power tools? The US machines are 120V/60 HZ

I'm not sure that it does but from what I understand from people who have imported tools from the US due to the better prices that it doesn't pose a problem. I have heard it said the motors rated at 60hz will run slightly slower on 50hz. I am no electrician so cant comment on the accuracy of that.

Cheers
Tom

Zahid Naqvi
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
UK has a rich history of neander tools, I am sure you will enjoy the rust hunt there. If you are only a hobbyist productivity should not be a concern, just enjoy the opportunity and improve your skills with handtools.

Kevin Adams
01-26-2008, 4:22 PM
Dan--

If you are looking for some inspiration to follow Pam's excellent advice, get your hands on FWW issue #127 for John Brown's (Welsh chairmaker) plea for folks to "go organic" as he called it. I have a copy of this article pinned to my shop wall. Here's the link to the table of contents for that issue:

http://www.taunton.com/back-issues/fw_toc_127.asp

In addition, you don't need electricity to operate all "power" tools...green woodworking is very rewarding. Here's another site to help you along:

http://www.bodgers.org.uk/

Best of luck in your travels.

Kevin

Dan Barr
01-28-2008, 4:59 PM
That is very interesting. i was thinking about building a motor-less lathe for myself and that might be the way to go.

thanks,

dan