PDA

View Full Version : Adirondack chairs

J.R. Rutter
01-25-2008, 11:01 PM
I finally got to make something other than cabinet doors this week. I hardly have time to read the forum these days, let alone participate. Anyway, I had to make these for an auction for my son's school. I used Lee Valley's plans because they had engineered the folding feature and I didn't want to have to think much about this project. I did end up calling them to clear up some ambiguity in the plans, but all in all, it is a nice design. I used tigerwood decking from one of my hardwood suppliers. For the arms, which are wider than the 1 x 6 decking, I used some jatoba, which was a good color match and should hold up OK to weather if it is sealed/finished. The hardware and screws are all stainless. It took at least 2 days for the first run through, including making 1/4" plywood patterns. Next time, I'll be able to crank them out. I finished them up just in time to drag them into the parking lot for some sunset photos. Now, I want some for my deck (with more curves)!

Al Barale
01-26-2008, 2:16 AM
Nice job on the chairs JR "The photos look very cool". Well done.

Dave Bureau
01-26-2008, 8:37 AM
Nice chairs.. what were some of the issues that you had with the plans?
I was thinking of making some in a few weeks
Dave

J.R. Rutter
01-27-2008, 12:50 AM
what were some of the issues that you had with the plans?
Dave

To put it in perspective, my business is growing, so I need to spend a certain amount of time in new employee training and production every day. I put off these chairs until the very last minute because we are busy. I worked on them over the course of several days, counting on the instructions to minimize my actually having to think much.

There is a table up front that has a cut list for roughing out the parts. The seat slats and some other parts had a rough length, but there was no finished length anywhere in the instructions later on. I got to assembly, and thought that the pattern parts for seat frame elements were too short because the slats never got cut to finished length. Nothing like a deadline to magnify issues! While reading through the plans with a very nice person at Lee Valley, I realized what the issue was. Other than that, they are good plans.

ken gibbs
01-27-2008, 7:09 AM
Folks,

Several years ago I made two of these chairs from TRIX. TRIX is the composition decking available from Lowes/HD ETC. I had some left over stock from rebuilding a pier over salt water. I wanted chairs that I could leave out all year on the pier with out getting oxidation and without the requiremnent to refinish/repaint. I used galvanized bolts and Gorilla Glue. These chairs have been out in salt air for over two years and been underwater in at least one major storm. With the exception of the bolt heads, no signs of oxidation have shown up. That TRIX stuff is amazing and you might consider using some for outside fixtures in extreme conditions. I do suspect TRIX is harder on saw blades than treated lumber and the finished chairs are very heavy to handle. The weight isn't a problem because you don't want them to wash off of the pier in storm conditons. :)

Greg Just
01-27-2008, 9:09 AM
J.R.

Very nice chairs - hopefully you will raise a lot of money for your son's school - Well done!

Mickey Finn
01-27-2008, 11:57 AM
umm, I think it's called TREX... there's a rabbit out there who's got the name TRIX locked up. ;)

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Nice lines. I like your front legs a lot.

Mark Rios
01-27-2008, 1:04 PM
TREX is for decking.....TRIX are for kids. :D

ken gibbs
01-28-2008, 1:23 PM
;)Samuel Clements said that an intelligent man should be able to spell a word more than one way.

Dave Sinkus
01-28-2008, 3:54 PM
I like the sleek look of the chairs. The photos of the chairs with the sunset background should be a great marketing tool. That's exactly what the chairs would be good at.

VVery nice work

Steve Kellogg
01-29-2008, 9:32 AM
I made the same chair. Finished the first a week or so ago. I'm more of a newbie, and didn't think the plans were all that straight forward. I like the chair, but I'm making the second one wider. The standard widths make sitting in it a little tight for a man with just a little girth.

George Bregar
01-29-2008, 9:41 AM
;)Samuel Clements said that an intelligent man should be able to spell a word more than one way. Hope so, because his last name is "Clemens" ;)

J.R. Rutter
01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
I made the same chair. Finished the first a week or so ago. I'm more of a newbie, and didn't think the plans were all that straight forward. I like the chair, but I'm making the second one wider. The standard widths make sitting in it a little tight for a man with just a little girth.

I would definitely make templates, if you haven't already. They make it easier to transfer marks for drill holes, and give you a dry run on cutout. I pre-drilled everything on the drill press with a countersink bit, including the ends of the seat slats, and the back slats. Use a bit large enough that the threads don't engage in the top part. I used a long drill bit to predrill all of the other holes through the top hole while I assembled. Having both a drill and a driver, or at least a quick change bit setup, is helpful.

Hope round 2 goes more smoothly.

I'll be doing the small version for myself one of these days (years?).

Scott Schwake
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I used Lee Valley's plans because they had engineered the folding feature and I didn't want to have to think much about this project. I did end up calling them to clear up some ambiguity in the plans, but all in all, it is a nice design.

JR, just curious how smooth the folding action is. I ordered those same plans from Lee Valley and plan to begin construction soon. I think I understand the problem you had with the seat slat rough lengths, any other issues to be aware of?

Thanks, Scott

Mark Hulette
07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
JR- nice looking chairs. They're a fun project. With the templates and experience, you'll be able to "fly" through subsequent chairs. Templates are the ticket!

Just curious how much they brought for you son's school?