PDA

View Full Version : my grizzly CS story

Scott Velie
01-25-2008, 8:32 PM
I was happily working in my shop today using my workhorse grizzly Go454 20" planer. I shut it off to have a conversation and when I turned it back on I got a loud Hummm and a tripped circuit breaker. HUMMM I removed the belt cover and checked to see that the cutter head was turning freely.
I reset the breaker and tried it again with the cover off. It hummed again while it was slowly turning then ZAAAPPP a pretty large flame spouted from behind the motor pulley and things got really quiet and the smoke rose.
NOT GOOD I let the smoke out of the motor.

I called Grizzly and determined I was actually 4 DAYS out of warranty. oh-oh.
No problem --- They are going to replace the motor.
Whoops-- it is out of stock ---- No problem
They say they will remove a motor from another machine and send it to me.
They had me check a couple things. I tested both capacitors (OK) and removed the fan cover to check the contacts there that turn on the run circuit and off the start circuit. (OK)

I am impressed with Grizzly. They could have said NO I was out of warranty but not only did they OK it but they are robbing parts for me.

COOL:cool:

Lance Norris
01-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Scott... how many hours would you estimate on that motor? Is it the 5 horse that is still on the new 454s' they sell today?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-25-2008, 11:08 PM
Scott,

Taking care of customers like that will bring them in a lot more customers!

Scott Velie
01-26-2008, 2:58 PM
yes it is the 5 hp motor.
It is hard to figure hours on it. It gets used heavy for a couple days then not at all for a week sometimes. It failed before it should have certainly.
I would guess I have put 500-800 BF through it in the last year.