PDA

View Full Version : Check your TS pulley setscrews!

Jared Cuneo
01-25-2008, 8:02 PM
Last night I smelled something burning...like plastic.....Could not find the source, keep working.

At the end of the session, I began to vacuum the floor of the shop and noticed black bits at the back of my Delta contractor.

Looked up and the pulley had worked all the way out and was hanging on by no more than 1/32 to the shaft :eek::eek:

It had burned through the plastic belt guard.

I reinstalled, and tightened set screw but to my amazement, it felt tight already....had to really crank it down.....

I'm sure everyone is ok, but please do go give your pulley a tug and make sure nothing is rotten in Denmark.....

Safe cutting,
JC

Anthony Whitesell
01-25-2008, 9:31 PM
Little of the low temp loctite or fingernail polish will help keep those setscrews tight.

Larry Fox
01-25-2008, 10:04 PM
had the same problem with my Uni.

Paul Dombroski
01-26-2008, 2:59 PM
The same thing happened on my 1980's Delta Contractors saw a few years ago.

Lee Schierer
01-26-2008, 5:19 PM
I reinstalled, and tightened set screw but to my amazement, it felt tight already....had to really crank it down.....

Some companies use double set screws in things like pullies. They will put in two short set screws to lock each other in place. The first goes in and is tightened on the shaft. Then the second one gets tightened against the back of the first to make a lock, similar to using two nuts on a bolt.

You might want to back out the set screw you just put in and see if there is another one deeper in the hole.

Mark Patoka
01-26-2008, 8:26 PM
The same thing happened to my Craftsmen. Now I have a perfect hole in the plastic pulley guard to see if it ever comes loose again, which is has on occasion. Fortunately that plastic guard has kept it from flying completely off.