PDA

View Full Version : Editing the appearance of a font

Mitchell Andrus
01-25-2008, 7:29 PM
Is it possible to take a font and stretch a letter, smoosh part of a letter, manipulate some of the lines that make up a letter?

Just wondering if the 'outline' of a letter can be changed into a bezier curve and saved/cut? Similar to the way we can edit any other shape.

Pete Simmons
01-25-2008, 7:45 PM
Change to curves and edit away.

Mike Null
01-25-2008, 7:53 PM
There are several things you can do including changing a single letter or more within a word to another font. That is done by highlighting the letter and selecting the new font. As previously suggested you can convert a letter or a word to curves and shape it however you want. You can save it as it's own file or make a symbol out of it by using the edit menu.

I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't a dozen more things you can do including some nifty things withthe envelope tool.

Joe Pelonio
01-25-2008, 9:56 PM
All of the above is correct. That's one way I often duplicate a logo faster than
running trace and cleaning it up from bad artwork.

My vinyl graphics program allows for editing and creating fonts, so I've been using it that way for years. Corel also has that capability but I've never tried it.

Here's some tips I found on doing it, using lower versions. Not sure if it still works on 12 or X3:

http://www.mccannas.com/othertip/corel1.htm

http://www.mockfont.com/old/fontinst.html

Mitchell Andrus
01-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Thanks, I'll plotch around and see what I can do.

Mike Null
01-26-2008, 1:56 PM
Hope you don't mind this. I always enjoy looking at your web site so here's an example of the stretching and combining of letters and shapes.

Mitchell Andrus
01-26-2008, 3:36 PM
Not bad.... Actually, there is a font that I'd like to get close to, but not use exactly as-is. It's a well-known design and easily identified that was made by a freind's grandfather 100 years ago and now in P22 form, and for sale and licenced by a third party publisher. I don't want to impose on a friendship just to use the font to make money.

Soo..... I'm going to change the basic font a bit on some letters, quite a bit on others - more than just stretching. This finished item will be sold in retail shops around the country and likely to be spotted, so I can't risk getting the publisher caught between me and my freind.

I've got to look for a font-building add-in for X3 or Turbo-cad or other...