PDA

View Full Version : Skew Chisel help

Grant Lasson
01-25-2008, 6:41 PM
I recently ordered a pair of 12 mm skew chisels (Two Cherries) from Brian Holbren. I've got 4 cases that I'm going to assemble with HB dovetails and I thought the skews would speed things up considerably.

Unfortunately, I received two identical chisels (instead of mirror images). Brian's out of stock and his supplier is out as well. He's offered to refund my money if I want to get skews from somewhere else.

Any thoughts on other sources for good skew chisels? LN's are $120 vs. Holbren $45. I do like the idea of sockets but are they worth $75 more? Any other brand recommendations? Any other source recommendations?

Are the Two Cherries good enough that I should just be more patient?

Thanks for any recommendations.

Grant

George Springer
01-25-2008, 6:54 PM
I use Blue Spruce, take a look at their fishtail as well as the skews. You can Google them and find Dave's website.

GSpringer

Jim Koepke
01-25-2008, 6:56 PM
Do you have a spare chisel you could grind down your self for use until the one you are waiting for ships?

Jim

--My mind is like a steel trap...rusty and illegal in 37 states.

Brian Kent
01-25-2008, 7:27 PM
Check out Craftsman Studio website. They have several brands, including two cherries and Japanese at discount prices. They sell Two Cherries at a 15% discount.

Tony Zaffuto
01-25-2008, 7:38 PM
Try "Tools for Working Wood". Ashley Iles has come out with a set of skews for dovetailing. Believe they are fishtail shaped. TWW also has a house brand of fishtail shaped chisels at a very competitive price. Or just get a couple of 1/4" bevel edge chisels and grind your own.

T.Z.

Mike Henderson
01-25-2008, 8:46 PM
You just don't put that much stress on skews for trimming dovetails - and you don't use them a whole lot. Go buy a couple of cheap Irwin 1/4" chisels and grind them to a skew (left and right). They'll work fine and they're only about $10 each.

If you want bigger, get the 1/2" (which is close to 12mm).

Mike

Derek Cohen
01-26-2008, 4:29 AM
You could always just regrind one of the Two Cherries. That's not hard to do.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Grant Lasson
01-26-2008, 11:12 AM
* The Blue Spruce looks great but seems like an overkill for my very modest skills.

* I couldn't find skew chisels at Craftsman Studio (that could be my eye sight--not what it once was).

* The "home brand" from Tools for Woodworking seems like a very good candidate--I may well get those.

* I'm curious about regrinding. I've only got waterstones so I'm assuming that would require getting a bench grinder. Do you just have at it and then clean it up with the normal sharpening process? If it gets too hot is the chisel a lost cause or can it be re-tempered?

Thanks for all your help.

Derek Cohen
01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi Grant

You can regrind with either a bench grinder or a belt sander. My preference would be the latter with a 60 grit belt. The coarser the cooler.

First grind the end square. Then mark the angle (magic marker, etc). The skew is probably 20 degrees. Make a jig to aid in the grinding if you are not confident of doing this freehand. Grind the blade at 25 degrees.

Honing (not grinding) on a guide such as the LV Honing Guide Mk II can either be done like this (which may give you ideas how to create a jig for grinding)...
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/z_art/MarkII-Angles/index.asp

.. or like this ..
http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/z_art/LVSkewJig/index.asp

Burning an edge is not the end of the world. You can re-do the heat treating easily enough. Just finish grinding the skew (you cannot do more harm once/if you blue the edge), then heat the end until cherry red and quench it in peanut oil. Wrap the handle in a wet cloth to protect it, and place the chisel in the oven at 350 F for about 30-45 minutes (the steel should turn a golden colour). Quench it again in the oil, and you are set to go.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Michael Gibbons
01-26-2008, 8:45 PM
Grant, send 'em back, buy yourself a 3/4 irwin/marples then grind a notch on both side starting about 7/8 down, 3/16 of an inch in, then angling up at about a 10 degrees towards the cutting edge of the chisel. I saw it on the Rob Cosman Advanced Hand Cut Dovetail video. Total cost is the price of the chisel and some time on the grinder. I bought a Crown 3/4 chisel from Woodcraft. About $30. Go to a buddies house and use his grinder. I bought one from the Borg on closeout for $25. All I need right now.

........Mike

George Clark
01-28-2008, 11:16 AM
I think Irwin/Marples may no longer exist. At least the Irwin I just purchased was a Irwin/China model. I was a bit disappointed.:mad: George

Grant Lasson
01-28-2008, 7:12 PM
Derek,

Thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate your taking the time to explain it to me.

This time, I think it makes sense to just go ahead and buy the skews from Tools for Woodworking. They'll come in around $37 to the house. For that price, I couldn't purchase the two Irwins and a belt sander not to mention the time required to regrind.

I'm filing away your description because I'm sure the time will come that I'll have that belt sander. I hadn't appreciated the role it could play in sharpening...

Grant