PDA

View Full Version : used jet xacta info needed, please

rocky brown
01-25-2008, 6:19 PM
i have first dibs on a 3 or 4 year old xacta table saw that i'm going to see tomorrow. the guy selling it has had it stored for a couple of years and was fuzzy about the details, but he said it had a 110v or 220v motor. the model # is jtas-10xl-1.

don't all xacta's have 3hp motors? and wouldn't that mean it has a 220v only motor?

any special problems i should look for on this saw, other than the motor?

thanks,
rb

Dave Falkenstein
01-25-2008, 6:55 PM
Check out the fence and be sure it is (or can be adjusted) parallel to the miter slots. I had one fence on my Jet cabinet saw that was welded wrong, and needed to be replaced, which Jet did under the warranty.

Another common issue with the Jet fences is the small plastic surfaces that the fence rides on become dislodged and lost. You can order them from Jet if any are missing.

Since the saw has been sitting, listen to determine if the belts are noisy. The belts can get a "set" and they still work fine, but make noise and can create some vibration. If they need replacing, get a matched set from Jet.

I have had my Jet cabinet saw for more than 5 years and have had no issues other than the fence problem I mentioned. This saw stays in tune over the years with very little maintenance required.

ps - Mine came from the factory wired for 220. I suspect the motor can be changed to 110, but it will draw a bunch of amps that way.

rocky brown
01-25-2008, 8:19 PM
thanks for the info, dave.

so are you saying it's possible that it's a 3hp saw that's running on 110v? i thought- and i know nothing about electricity- that app. 2hp was the max for 110v?

thanks again,
rocky

Dave Falkenstein
01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
thanks for the info, dave.

so are you saying it's possible that it's a 3hp saw that's running on 110v? i thought- and i know nothing about electricity- that app. 2hp was the max for 110v?

thanks again,
rocky

As an example, if a tool draws 15 amps on a 220 circuit, it will draw 30 amps on a 110 circuit. Many tool motors can be wired either way. On a tool that needs a fair amount of watts (power), most folks prefer to use 220, rather than install a high amperage 110 circuit.

I checked the owners manual on my Jet JTAS-10XL saw. The motor is 3HP, single phase, 230 volts ONLY. So in my case, there is not a choice - mine must run on a 220 circuit. I have no idea what a -1 model means, but I'd check for sure that the saw is REALLY capable of running on 110. I doubt it.

BTW - I paid $1400 for mine, new, several years ago. I added some accessories and have around $2000 invested, plus blades. If I were buying one used, I would hope to get it for about half of the current new street price.

rocky brown
01-26-2008, 12:54 AM
i'm going to go have a look at it- if it's got the 3hp motor i'll be bringing her home :)

rb

Tom Veatch
01-26-2008, 1:01 AM
I have a JTAS-10XL-1 with the Xacta fence that is about 6 years old. The motor is not dual voltage. The magnetic starter contains an overload protecter (heater) rated for 15 amps. If it could be changed to 110 by the owner, the starter would be woefully inadequate for the amperage.

The "dash numbers" mean:

JTAS-10XL-1 = 3HP, 230V, Single Phase
JTAS-10XL-5/1 = 5HP, 230V, Single Phase
JTAS-10XL-3 = 5HP, 230/460V , Three Phase

IMO, it's a good saw. I'm very well pleased with it and have never felt any desire to change it for another model or brand. As best I can recall, the heaviest cutting I've done with it is 12/4 maple which is very near the maximum cut for a 10' saw. It handled that with no problem.

Can't give you many "gotcha's" to look out for because I've had no problems with the saw except that the pointer bracket behind the blade height handwheel cracked a few months ago. I wouldn't have bothered to replace it except that that part has a function in the blade height locking mechanism. Local service center got me the new part. It was a simple replacement.

scott spencer
01-26-2008, 7:53 AM
Jet did make a JWCS-10A a few years back. It was rated at 1-3/4hp but could easily be dubbed 2hp erroneously. Check to see if the trunnions are cabinet mounted (cabinet saw) or are traditional contractor saw trunnions mounted under the table. If so, it's more than 3-4 years old...more like 7 or 8.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/images/articles/tablesaw_tool_jetjwcs-10a.jpg