PDA

View Full Version : Good Deal on Charlesworth Books

Jeff Moore
01-25-2008, 1:33 PM
I was doing a little online book shopping this morning and ran across a good buy I thought I'd pass along to my fellow neanderthals. David Charlesworth's first two books, "Furniture-Making Techniques, Vol. 1 & 2," are currently available for $8.95 + S&H at lightningpublications.com. I bought three books and the total S&H charge was $9.35. This is about 50% below what these books are going for at other places I have found, such as LN, etc.

I recently finished reading Charlesworth's third book, "A Guide to Handtools and Methods." I really enjoyed this book and thought I'd give his first two a read.

I'm not a shill for Lightning Publications or David Charlesworth, just passing this along to those who may be interested.

Tony Sade
01-25-2008, 2:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Jeff. I just ordered the pair of Charlesworth's books. Earlier today I was looking at them while surfing LN's site and was giving serious consideration to getting them both.

Marc Casebolt
01-25-2008, 3:28 PM
I just ordered both of them. I have his third book, and like it a lot
Marc

Dave Anderson NH
01-25-2008, 3:51 PM
As a general note I would highly recommend these books to any Neanderthal or wannabe and the price is outstanding.

Michael Fross
01-25-2008, 6:02 PM
Thanks for the information. Just ordered the 2 Charlesworth books as well as one on Marquetry.

Michael

Casey Gooding
01-25-2008, 8:56 PM
I ordered them as well. Also got the free book on Celtic woodworking. Don't know if it will be any good, but for the price of shipping, it's worth finding out.

Mike Henderson
01-25-2008, 9:06 PM
I went and looked at the Charlesworth books on that Lighting Publications site. The books are about $9 each and the shipping is quoted as $3.50 plus $2 per book or a total of about $7.50 for shipping. The total for the two books would be about $25.50 and delivery is quoted as up to 21 days.

Amazon has the two books for $26.21 ($14 for one and $12.21 for the other) with free shipping and available for immediate delivery.

So the difference is about $0.75, with Amazon being more expensive.

Mike

Jeff Moore
01-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Mike, Amazon doesn't have Vol. 1 in this series; at least when I search "David Charlesworth" it doesn't pop up on my screen. They show "A Guide to Handtools and Methods," as being available, but this is actually the third volume in the series, not Vol. 1.

Mike Henderson
01-26-2008, 11:46 PM
Mike, Amazon doesn't have Vol. 1 in this series; at least when I search "David Charlesworth" it doesn't pop up on my screen. They show "A Guide to Handtools and Methods," as being available, but this is actually the third volume in the series, not Vol. 1.
Take a look here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861081251/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance) ($14). He's actually not listed as the author on that book (by Amazon).

The second volume is here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1861082959/ref=ord_cart_shr?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance) ($12.21). Both are paperback.

Mike

Mike Henderson
01-30-2008, 1:04 AM
Just an update. Amazon now has both books available for $12.21 each($24.42 for the two). The only problem is that the total for the two books is under the $25 threshold for free shipping.

Mike

Thomas Knighton
01-30-2008, 8:28 AM
I just got the second and third book yesterday from Amazon, thinking I had the first and second. I really wish Mike had posted that link a bit sooner, because so far I've been less than impressed with the books, but figure the first one will bring everything home. ;)

Tom