PDA

View Full Version : Shop Built Downdraft Table

Lance Norris
01-25-2008, 12:52 PM
I am trying to limit my exposure to airbourne dust since I have a basement shop. I now spend more time in the shop than I ever have. I have replaced my cheapo Delta dust collector with the Grizzly G0548 cannister collector. This is a huge step in the right direction, but I need a downdraft table. Since Im out of floor space, I want to build a downdraft box that I can hook to my collector and when I dont need it, move it out of the way. I am just going to sit it on the bench, so it just needs to be a simple box with a 4" DC connection. Has anybody built one and can show me some pics and give me some pointers? I realize its not a complicated project.

keith ouellette
01-25-2008, 1:21 PM
So far my down draft table is the 4" dc hose at my router table backed up by the 4" hose from my table saw. I aim the collection port from my random orbit sander in the direction of the hoses. It helps quite a bit.

If I were going to make a down draft table I would make it vertical in stead of horizontal. It wouldn't be a table but a recessed barrier with a 4" collection port on each side. Kinda like the shape of a portable spray booth that could be placed next to the work piece.

Jeffrey Makiel
01-25-2008, 1:23 PM
Our fellow SMC member, Terry Hatfield, has this to offer on his website along with other interesting ideas...

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot431.shtml

-Jeff