PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a coopering plane?

Jim Belair
01-25-2008, 12:14 PM
I enjoyed Jameel's post on making a Krenov style plane, have the Finck book and have made a wood jointer. What I haven't seem anywhere are specific details on how to make a wood coopering plane (i.e. one curved along the short dimension, for smoothing the inside face of a coopered door). Hock curved blades are readily available.

I'm a bit hesitant just to make a flat bottom version, then add the curve by cutting facets and smoothing. Without drawing it out or making a mock up, I have the idea that somehow the curve will alter the support the ramp provides and/or alter the mouth openning, both with adverse effect.

I bought one of the LV curved squirrel tails thinking I could use it but there is no comparison. The spoon bottom is a harder to control, the mouth is huge, a bit of a disappointment frankly. A wood coopering plane is as much a joy to use as its flat soled cousin and I don't know of any metal versions.

Thanks
Jim

John Goodridge
01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
The book Woodens Planes and How to Make Them by Perch and Lee (Algrove Publishing, Lee Valley has it) has a chapter on cooper's planes. It might help.