PDA

View Full Version : Premium Dowels?

Jim Summers
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Hello All,

I am starting to look at the dowelmax pro jig. I noticed they offer premium dowels. What exactly is a premium dowel? Possibly some sort of wood composite that doesn't move much? Or is it those ones that have grooves milled in them that I guess allow for glue space? Would they be stronger than say a oak dowel rod cut up for use as dowels?

TIA

Tom Esh
01-25-2008, 1:11 PM
They're actually compressed grooved dowels and worth every penny IMO. (Lee Valley, Woodcraft, & others sell them as well as DM.) They're initially machined slightly oversized then compressed to a bit undersized. That makes it easy to dry fit and assemble but you also get a very tight fit in the final glue-up because they expand in the presence of the moisture in the glue. Essentially they can give you a very strong and tight joint that otherwise would require ~considerably~ more pressure to assemble and dang near impossible to get apart after a dry fit. I've not used the old style since I discovered the comressed type. Just be sure to store them in a dry sealed container so they don't swell. I keep mine in an airtight food storage container with one of these http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11481.

Jim Summers
01-25-2008, 2:03 PM
Probably consistent in size also. I have found when doing some glue-ups with biscuits that they are not all the same size. Those are the ones I have bought from the big box stores. I haven't tried the lamello brand, which I guess would be classified as a 'premium' biscuit.

So, if I get a dowelmax I will definitely keep a a stock of good dowels. It is nice to know though that a spare dowel rod laying around will work in a pinch.

Excellent info.

Thanks!

Matt Meiser
01-25-2008, 2:41 PM
Chris at Dowelmax said they've decided that you really don't need the compressed dowels anymore and refered me to Rockler after my initial order from them because of shipping. As I understand they are saying to use the fluted dowels. I found the 3/8x2" dowels at Woodworkers Hardware (http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm/GroupID/Wood%20Products/CatID/Biscuits%20and%20Dowel%20Pins/showprod/1) (scroll to about the middle of the page) too for about 3.9 cents each in quantities of 100 or 2.9 cents each for 1000. They are supposedly premium dowels made to exact tolerances.

Tom Esh
01-25-2008, 6:51 PM
Chris at Dowelmax said they've decided that you really don't need the compressed dowels anymore...

Interesting. I wonder what's up with that. I hope it's not because of problems with the expansible. I've seen speculation that they might overstress the material, but I've not heard of it happening.

Matt Meiser
01-26-2008, 12:39 AM
I didn't think to ask why but took it as more of a statement that the fluted ones work just fine, not that there was a problem. If you decide to call them, let us know what you find out. Especially if I misunderstood something. :eek: