PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice!

Connie Klug
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
I have been surfing the web trying to find out as much as I can about the laser business( I use to be an embroidery designer). I would like to be able to engrave and cut leather mostly, and be able to work with wood. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what machine might work the best for this type of work? Any recommendations as to which brand of machine might be better or more user friendly?

appreciate any help,
Connie

Nancy Laird
01-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Connie, first, welcome to the Creek. Wade right in, the water's fine.

Next, unless you have a business plan or some customers already lined up, buying a laser to "engrave and cut leather" and "work with wood" doesn't bode well for your checkbook. Most lasers (except the Chinese ones--avoid like the plague) start out at a minimum of $10,000 and go up from there. There is a learning curve--very steep--to learning the graphic software (CorelDraw, usually) that is necessary to control the laser--the laser itself is easy--move the table to focus the lens and push the start button. It's the computer work that is complicated and takes so long to learn.

So...to answer your last question, machine more user-friendly...they all are, as they are mechanical things--push a button, make a focus adjustment, etc.

All of the "big name" machines - Universal, Epilog, Trotec, VersaLaser, Pinnacle - will be able to engrave and cut leather and "work with wood." The place to start is to contact a real live rep of one or the other of the companies and have him/her demonstrate a machine that can and will do what you want to do.

Do your research into problems and solutions; cost of replacing a tube if and when it goes bad; customer service availability; talk to other laser owners--not just those who own the one you're lusting after--and listen to what they say.

As I said, learning and using the graphic software is the hardest part, as far as I am concerned. We've had our laser (20W) almost three years, so my exposure to Corel Draw has been that long--and I am FAR from proficient in it. I can design relatively simple designs with it, but I'm a long way from being able to clean up a logo or even design a logo. The learning curve for CorelDraw is steep and long--if you are serious about wanting to purchase a laser, start with buying CorelDraw X3 (stay away from X4 until all the bugs are out of it---see the current thread), and learn how to do it. You can send your images to print on an ink-jet or laser printer and see your end result--you can learn to clean up an image and remove stray pixels that the eye doesn't see but the laser does. And all the while you can be researching which laser you feel will be the best for your needs. But remember, unless you have a customer base to start with or a business plan, you may end up with a very expensive bookshelf.

Nancy

Sandra Force
01-25-2008, 11:40 AM
What type of wood and how thick? Leather you can do will most CO2 machines. You will need a good exhauset system as leather stinks when cut or engraved. Smells like branding time on the home ranch. All of the machines will work, some just better than others. After watching threads on the chinese machines I would say to stick to ones that have support here or in Canada and stay away from anything without that. The Epilog, ULS and others are all good, they just run on slightly different programs and settings. I would contact people in the are who run lasers and ask if you can talk to them about what they like and dislike about their laser. Depending on where you are there are some great people to work with out there.

Sandra Force
01-25-2008, 11:47 AM
I have to agree with Nancy. Learning Corel is the biggest challange to running lasers. I have been using it for 4 years and just recently have gotten so that I can do much more than the basic stuff. If you have a community college in your area that teaches Corel take a class in it. If you designed embroidery you may already be good at it. DO NOT GET IN A HURRY. Take your time learning aboout the business and set up a business plan first. :eek::)

Connie Klug
01-25-2008, 12:11 PM
I currently work in the cutting horse business and my boyfriend is a saddle maker. My Idea is to market to the horse and pet industry. Being able to enhance a product such as a halter or a leash I think would sell. I believe I have an in to the horse industry as I have contacts all over the country. I found a lady that lives about 45 min away and I am going to contact her, and hopefully go and spend a day with her. As for Corel Draw I did work with it about 8 years ago, and I do realize there is a lot to learn with that program. Thanks for the advice of buying the program and start playing with it. That is a great idea. I know there is a lot to learn in using that program. As for my business idea, do you think I have enough to go on, or do I need to think more on what I should do with a laser machine?
As for the thickness of wood. I was thinking of incorporating wood and leather, to make Bible covers or address books.

Thanks again for all of the advice this is a great website.
Connie

Sam Yerardi
01-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Connie,

Welcome to the world of lasers! Don't be intimidated by all you have to learn. Most of it will be intuitive once you start. In my previous life as a laser design engineer, I wrote an article:

http://www.industrial-lasers.com/articles/article_display.html?id=167285

about the different types of lasers available. Note that I wrote this before fiber lasers were generally avaliable. In this article I describe the essential differences between the types, wavelengths, etc.

For most craft and for the types of materials you're talking about (wood, leather) the CO2 laser will be the predominate choice. The lasers (new ones) range anywhere from the low $10K on up. The main difference as far as what laser to use for what type of material, the general rule of thumb is this:

If it is something you WOULD put in your microwave oven, it is PROBABLY a CO2 application. Anything organic (carbon-based) is usually good with a CO2. Leather and wood are.

It if is something you WOULDN'T put in your microwave, it is probably a YAG or other wavelength application.

There are only a few CO2 tube manufacturers and most vendors use them. We used Universal laser tubes in our CO2 designs. Air-cooled. Depending on what material you are working with, you may be able to use a 10w CO2 v.s. a higher wattage (more money). Any of the manufacturers will sample mark for you.

If you are wanting to do 3-D images like you see inside of glass cubes, etc., that takes a laser with a very short wavelength and usually special software although some software packages can struggle through it.

Hope this helps.

Rodne Gold
01-25-2008, 1:51 PM
If you wanbt to engrave only , a low powered desktop model might be your best bet.
If you want to cut leather and wood , then you need some horsepower , so to speak , a 75+ w laser. The latter is very expensive, acuatally so is the former for mere horse tack decoration purposes.
Make sure you got enough work to cover the cost and make money out the machine , a $10k machine will beed at least $30-40k turnover a year to make it profitable , thats like $150-$200 a days work. Even at that level its not *that* profitable.
Be careful you dont end up a slave to a machine to make the payments. Your field seems very narrow and focussed to me.
Your biggest question to ask yourself is: Why would customers choose ME?

Stephen Beckham
01-25-2008, 2:30 PM
I have to concur with Rodne a bit... I do work for three different Leather Workers (don't know if there's a proper noun for them).

The work in leather is by no doubt the best they've seen versus in hand - all three have stated they are glad I'm close because they could never afford the laser or the time to do the work in the leather. Their ability to sub out the work to me has increased their time to do other work to keep on task by just dropping it off to me and going back to work on other items.

So that's another part you'll have to consider - how valuable is your time. If you have a local laser - strike up a deal with them to sub it out until the requirement grows. Then you can make a decision to purchase if you find your sub'ing more work out that you could do yourself with your own laser.

Another part that has been painful, some of the items they have brought to me has been a challenge just due to size of my deck. I've got the Mini24 which has a 12X24 inch deck with only 8" of height. If you're going to make a go at it, you may need the larger deck to fit some of the larger items. Again - increasing your costs for initial purchase...

Dave Lyda
01-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Connie, just in the last 2 days I have been surfing websites that do alot of lasering on tack/saddles/bridles/spur straps/book covers/cell phone belt holders etc. I found one in Texas but cannot remember the name or the website. They were very impressive. You might get even more ideas if you can find them. Try googling laser engraved saddles etc. Leather does laser nice but it also smells. I also think the hardest part is trying to master Coreldraw. We have a 40 watt epilog laser and it has been very dependable over the past 5 years.

Keith Outten
01-26-2008, 8:04 AM
Connie,

Not that I disagree with some of the good advise here but there are occasions where a smaller target customer base can be more proffitable than other business plans. You have to evaluate your prospective customers to determine if they can provide enough work to justify concentrating your efforts just in their direction. Given that horses are a reasonably small audience you may find that this particular group may be interested in paying a higher fee to someone who specializes in the knid of products and services they are most interested in purchasing.

I have found that my business is more profitable serving just a few large customers rather than trying to diversify in an effort to serve hundreds. There's nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box :)