PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when inspecting a used TS?

Derek Hansen
01-25-2008, 10:25 AM
I am going to check out a 5 year old PM66 today that has been used in a shop environment. I was wondering if there is anything specific I should check for to indicate if it has been well cared for, and if there are any indicators of future problems I can look for.

Thanks

Chuck Lenz
01-25-2008, 10:42 AM
I am going to check out a 5 year old PM66 today that has been used in a shop environment. I was wondering if there is anything specific I should check for to indicate if it has been well cared for, and if there are any indicators of future problems I can look for.

Thanks
Nice paint.

Eric Haycraft
01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Is the table flat?
How smooth is the motor while running and starting?
Does it pass the nickel test (if it fails, it may just need belts, so this isn't a deal breaker)?
Are the miter slots straight and parallel (definite deal breaker)?
How much arbor runout is there (bring a magnetic base finger gauge)?
Crank it all the way up and down, is the action smooth? If not, is it buildup (just needs a cleaning) or are there broken gears?
Same step as above, but checking the angle adjustment action.
Is there slop in the arbor. It should be firm from lateral movements.
Is there deep rust on the tables?

If they won't let you hear it run, take 50 percent off the price immediately and walk away if they refuse.

Other things like blade to table and table to fence parallel can be adjusted, so not as important.

Eric

Anthony Whitesell
01-25-2008, 11:16 AM
Are the pulleys on securely?
How worn are the miter slots? Does the miter gauge wobble in the slot?

Joe Chritz
01-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Ask why they are selling it.

My guess is they are uping to a slider or possibly CNC if a cabinet shop.

A good cabinet saw will run all day, every day for many years and the worst you need to do is maybe change bearings.

The ideas posted above by Eric are good ones to look for. Basically anything loose or anything unusual.

If you can try a rip cut, that would be good as well. Something like maple shows bad cuts pretty well.

Joe