PDA

View Full Version : Long pipe clamp flex

Craig D Peltier
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Hi, the other day I was gluing up 5/4 beech 60x60 using 6 foot 1" pipe clamps, Ponys with Borg pipes. I noticed flex in the pipes when trying to get a tight grip, a quite a bit on one in particular. Is this common?
Im almost afraid to glue something up wider? Maybe it was the amount of clamps I used, it was only 4. Maybe 7 or so would of done better?

Thanks for any input.

Lou Ferrarini
01-25-2008, 10:29 AM
Craig,

I normally use the 3/4" pipe clamps with black iron pipe. I have had no issues gluing up 6' pieces. You don't need to put a lot of pressure on the wood. Just enough to squeeze out a little glue.

George Bregar
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Pipe clamps always flex, even on shorter spans. Not to worry, they will appply enough pressure for a glue up. More clamps is always better in general. I place them about 8" apart alternating high/low.

Aaron Frank
01-25-2008, 10:32 AM
Craig,

I have this same set-up, and have also noticed the flex. For table frames, I check that everything's still square, and forget about it. For table tops and other edge glueing, I make sure to use plenty of cauls to hold everything square.

Also, like Lou said, I never tighten beyond a little squeeze out.

Good luck
Aaron

Craig D Peltier
01-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I meant 3/4 pipes.

M. A. Espinoza
01-25-2008, 2:30 PM
Alternating clamps.

Sometimes its also helpful to add a shims in the middle to straighten the line. Sounds counterintuitive but it works.