PDA

View Full Version : The slope IS slippery!

Richard Magbanua
01-25-2008, 8:51 AM
Hello everyone,
I went to the Woodworking Show in Indianapolis last week and got my new tools in the mail yesterday. I spent most of my time at the Lee Valley booth. It was the first time I been able to use high-end planes and boy was I impressed. I've rehabbed about five Stanleys so far to the best of my newbie abilities with their original blades and and I thought they worked pretty good. The Veritas planes however were nothing short of amazing to me.
The first thing I noticed was that they really look a lot nicer in person. I'm not sure if it's the photography or what, but they really don't look very pretty on their website.
The next thing I noticed was the feel and look of high-end quality. If you don't know what I mean it's difficult to describe. Parts just fit perfectly. The finish was flawless. Moving parts on something as simple as an adjustable marking wheel didn't just slide sloppily but glided with just a touch of resistance. In using their planes, it seemed like they were magnetized to the wood as they made effortless shavings. I had no idea it could be that good.
Well, I decided on getting the large Router plane to help with joinery. I also got the edge trimming plane. I didn't plan on getting that but I was really impressed with how it worked and thought it would be useful for getting that final square edge or setting bevels with an angled fence. The third plane I got was the Mujingfang Tai-style jack plane. I already had the short smoother and it's become my favorite bench plane so far.
I was going to get the med shoulder plane but I composed myself and thought it better to save something for another time. I'm also dreaming about the trio of bevel-up planes. Time to get a paper route or something...
Unfortunately, no one I know would really appreciate my new tools if I showed them. That where you folks come in! Thanks for sharing with me.
So, as they say, it didn't happen unless I show a picture. Here they are. I'll be busy making shavings today!!

Thank you,
Richard in Indy

gary Zimmel
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Richard

Welcome to the slope. I have got to warn you though it's going to be a long ride..

Good haul from the show!

Brian Kent
01-25-2008, 11:17 AM
Those are some beautiful tools! I know from my own experience that the rosewood jack plane will work beautifully. It is a first rate tool!

Bob Oehler
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
I went over the crest about 4 years ago. At the Jan. Woodworking show in Columbus OH I buy a late Christmas present for my self usually from Lee Valley. Have fun on your ride down and remember those stanly's are good planes just tune and put in a new thicker blade and you will always be plesently supprised.

Have Fun
Bob Oehler

Mark Stutz
01-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Richard,
If you really want bigger push down the slope, try to make it to Chicago for the LN hand tool event in April. A whole host of people there, not just LN. You won't be dissappointed.

Mark

Tim Leo
01-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Richard,
If you really want bigger push down the slope, try to make it to Chicago for the LN hand tool event in April. A whole host of people there, not just LN. You won't be dissappointed.

Mark

LN Handtool event? Where? When?

Eddie Darby
01-25-2008, 1:10 PM
The link to the LN event in Chicago:

http://www.lie-nielsen.com/?pg=1

Dennis Pickerl
01-25-2008, 1:23 PM
I am fortunate enough to have a LV store in my city and I stop there at least twice a week (I have TBD - tool buying disorder). The bevel up planes are a thing of beauty to look at and to use, I got my first at christmas, the Jack plane. If a new plane isn't in the budget, swap out the factory blade for one of the LV replacements. Much thicker and a definite improvement over the orginal.

Craig Che
01-25-2008, 2:59 PM
It does get real slippery, I only had one plane a month ago and now I am up to 4 (waiting on 2 in the mail). Now I just have to learn how to use them and mainly how to sharpen them.

Dwain Lambrigger
01-25-2008, 8:04 PM
I too have begun the slip down the slope. I had one block plane from 2003 to September 2007. I decided that I might like to rehab some old planes; since then, three 6's, three 4's, a 4 and a half, two 3's, a 7, a 220 and a 60 1/2. I have only rehabed a 220 and a 4. Still, something to work on. I also bought the 7 from Nic Obie, a regular here and at WN. Fantastic quality of workmanship at a reasonable price. I can't say enough about his work. So....

Hi, my name is Dwain, and I am a planoholic

Good Luck.

James Mittlefehldt
01-25-2008, 8:10 PM
LOL You guys are so doomed!!!!

Jeff Hallam
01-25-2008, 9:29 PM
I know exactly how you feel about being the lone appreciative person when it comes to a good hand plane. I live in a rural area where everything seems to be Mastercraft, or B+D. None of my colleagues at work do woodworking as a hobby except me, so when I do rarely get a tool to gloat about it, I am better off staying in the garage mumbling about it to myself like Gollum "preciousssss, my precioussss.." :)

Jules Martin
01-26-2008, 8:44 PM
Richard-
I too have the LV right-angle plane, and it is wonderfully effective. I use it in conjunction with my #7 jointer: Straighten the edge with the #7, use the right-angle until the edge is 90 degrees, and then pass the jointer once more to make it straight. Sometimes I alternate the two a couple of times until all is nice. It's an easy, intuitive, and relaxing process. I used to dread joining boards, now I look forward to it. The only difficulty can be that the very low cutting angle of the right-angle plane will cause a nasty tear-out if the grain gives it half a chance.

Richard Magbanua
01-27-2008, 10:50 AM
Thanks for sharing your appreciation guys! I am not alone;) Bob, I think I will pick up a replacement blade for my #5 and see how it improves. And Jules, thanks for the advice on using the new trim plane, but the only thing I really heard was "You need a #7 seven plane". I'll get to work on that right away!!!:p