PDA

View Full Version : Let's list some of our clip-art sources

Mitchell Andrus
01-25-2008, 8:47 AM
I rarely need clip art, but when I need something that I don't want to draw, or need something to use as a starting point, I'm usually into the book that came with X3.

My favorite source of course is the 'net. Google "private wine labels" click images and have at it. Same goes for anything else I might need.

One of my doorbell cabinets is based on an old Philips tube radio. Classic Art-Deco design. Google "antique radios". WOW!

Anyone else have a go-to haunt or trick for finding something odd?

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2008, 8:57 AM
My best source with the most clipart anywhere in the world is Frank Corker :)

He's got everything :)

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Joe Pelonio
01-25-2008, 10:26 AM
After Frank, Corel 5.0 Clipart CD

Nancy Laird
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Art Explosion.

Mike Null
01-25-2008, 1:02 PM
I use Corel version 8. It's very good but maybe not as good as 5. Even so, if you could find an old copy of any of the early versions (8 and earlier) it would be worthwhile.

After that I use Google for specific things but I don't have much need for that.

Darren Null
01-25-2008, 1:29 PM
Despite the incredible resources available on emule, I still feel better if I shoot my own photos for the the back, mid, and foreground.

Angus Hines
01-25-2008, 2:14 PM
Ditto ... :D If Frank dosn't have it then Joe probably does and if neither of them have it....I figure I don't really need it.

My best source with the most clipart anywhere in the world is Frank Corker :)

He's got everything :)

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Anna Linn
01-25-2008, 2:21 PM
The main sources I use are Art Explosion, Corel, Vector Art Mega Collection and Mega 2 plus some others. I work in an embroidery/screen printing store so I do have access to a lot of other collections. Plus I Google a lot.

Anthony Welch
01-25-2008, 6:14 PM
Art explosion, Berry basket, Dober art, Scroll saw patterns since the new "trace" function in x3, the set I got from carvingpatterns dot com (can't remember the name) these also have to be "traced" as they are bitmaps I think but some nice stuff.

Last night I used the Native American Image that Keith posted from his "Tattoo" friend, on a piece of basswood. Man.... that turned out better than any photo I've done so far. It sold me and I've been scoping out his site. Doesn't look like he offers a CD of his stuff, but most look like $8 bucks an image. Please, I'm not plugging the guy, just nice stuff... and you asked anyway. :D

Dave Lyda
01-25-2008, 11:15 PM
There is also a place inTexas called Logofax that we use alot. They have clipart and logos for engraving (both rotary and laser) silkscreening and embroidery. It does cost money to be a member, but we have used them for alot of years. Aubrey is his name and a nice guy to work with.

Keith Outten
01-26-2008, 7:41 AM
Anthony,

I have the complete set of CD's from Tattoo-Art that includes his engraving and vector art collections. Aaron Koehl also has converted both collections to Corel CDR's for me which makes it really convenient to use his art work. I used to host Jim Crowe's web site so I know him reasonably well but I haven't seen him for several years.. If I can find a means to contact him I will ask for permission to sell his art work here at The Creek.

The problem with selling art work like Jim's is that it is a major bandwidth consumer placing so many graphics online. When I hosted his web site we had to put his stuff on its own private server because of the traffic he generated. I don't want to get that involved here but I might be able to show off a sample of his work, just enough to allow people to see if it is something they would be interested in purchasing.

Really good art work is an excellent investment. I would rather purchase one graphic that is top notch quality than a CD set that contains 10,000 graphics that probably only have a few worth using. I have engraved most of Jim's graphics at one time or another but their are a few that I have used time and time again that paid for the collections many times over.

Frank Corker
01-26-2008, 8:59 AM
I remember seeing one or two that you posted on the web. The nice thing about Crowe's stuff is that it has a 3d appearance to it and shows up extremely well when done on wood. I'd be interested to see if you are able to get him going on the idea.

Ray Mighells
01-26-2008, 1:42 PM
Those tattoo designs can be purchased on-line and downloaded from his web-site/store. I bought 10 of his CDs but they are only a fraction of what's available as singles. Click into TATTOO-ART. I also, again thank Keith for the original contact

Bill Cunningham
01-26-2008, 10:26 PM
I have not had a look at the corel 5 disk, but I have a corel 4 book and disk which I use more than anything else (other than google) the early corel clipart was put together for printers, and being before desktop colour publishing got started, the clip art was all black and white.. Google mining is still one of the best sources for good clip art.. I use the advance search, large images (they now have extra large as a choice), any type, black and white.. Black and white on google, unlike yahoo and the others, results in only 2 bit images being displayed.Google has a separate selection for greyscale, and Black and white.. Black and white on the others results in a mixture of grayscales, real black and white, and RGB black and white..

Roy Brewer
01-28-2008, 11:50 PM
I rarely need clip art, but when I need something that I don't want to draw, or need something to use as a starting point, I'm usually into the book that came with X3.All,

Several seem to have their favorite Corel version of clipart. I strongly recommend ROMCat if you are using just one version. But, oh my gosh, if you are using several versions, it is a no brainer.

Chose a version, type in a keyword, and see thumbnails of *every* related clipart in that version. Have several versions open and compare your choices. Decision? Double click and it is automatically imported into DRAW. ROMCat 5 (I think current version) allows/suggests that you copy all your clipart versions to hard drive making them instantly available. As cheap as hard drive space is, this is really convenient. I have every Corel Clipart between version 3 and version X3 plus Corel Gallery. Yes, there is a ton of duplication, but each one will have many unique to almost every keyword for which I've searched.

Shareware, but shame on you if you use it for long and not send the guy a contribution for this all time, most useful, 3rd party program for Corel users.

Most of the gurus say that Corel 8 has the broadest selection of quality, laserable clipart; it is always the version I ROMCat first.

Foster Coburn's web site is at least one of the places you can download ROMCat and pre-made thumbnail libraries for each version you own.

Skip Weiser
01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Can someone re-post the link to the .edu site that has thousands of B&W clip art images for download, with a searchable database?

At least I think it was an .edu url. I had it bookmarked but my Firefox browser crashed one evening and I lost about 4 years worth of bookmarks. Ouch !!!

Thanks,
Skip

Found it. Here's the link. Hope it's okay to post it. It's a great resource for students and teachers.

http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/

Linda Butterfield
02-04-2008, 10:49 PM
I've been using Broderbund ClickArt for many years in my desktop publishing but many of them are great for engraving. The largest collection I have has 200,000 various images.

I also use Microsoft Online Clipart. It's hit or miss for engraving images but a good source.