PDA

View Full Version : Is this odd? I gotta ask.

Rich Engelhardt
01-25-2008, 6:15 AM
Hello,
Anyone else have a power tool or tools or accessory, that they simply have to use - just beacuse it's so fun? I don't mean "use" in the sense that it's put to any real use - just use it for the sake of using it.

My "big three" are:
- Hammer drill
- Palm nailer
- Forstner bit - big Forstner bit - and pine.

Ok - I admit, last fall I had to drill some holes in concrete. Yes - I went overboard. I used probably three times as many fasteners as I had to.
It was all because drilling the holes with the hammer drill was so easy it was fun.

Palm nailer - well, I got it free and had to try it out right? LOL! About a pound of nails later,, :D I almost had it figured out. Kind of like a variation of the Whack -a -mole carnival game :D.

Forstner bit - oh yeah!! Big old Forstner and a hunk of pine = a smell like a Thanksgiving kitchen :)

Glenn Clabo
01-25-2008, 7:19 AM
Odd? Me thinks someone has had a little extra something in his coffee this morning. :D:D

Sean Kinn
01-25-2008, 7:27 AM
Yep, you've got the sickness....just like the rest of us. I find I spend time just sitting on my shop stool (5 gallon bucket) admiring a few of my nicer power tools. However, I often pull out my hand planes for an impromptu "thinnest shaving possible" contest. I think my wife is sick of me running up the steps saying, "check it out, it's so thin you can read through it."

Tim Malyszko
01-25-2008, 7:29 AM
Yep. I love the palm nailer - almost makes me want to build another deck just so I can use that wonderful tool.

julie Graf
01-25-2008, 8:23 AM
I think my wife is sick of me running up the steps saying, "check it out, it's so thin you can read through it."

this made me laugh. :)

Tom Walz
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
When I get the handplane just right it is magic.

(just reread that - either meaning is correct.)

John Bush
01-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Love all my dustmakers but recently bought a MIG. It is a blast to use, as long as I don't burn down the shop!!

Bill Wyko
01-25-2008, 11:27 AM
My Lathe, definitely my Lathe.:D:D:D:D

James Hart
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Recently (finally) learned how to tune a plane so it takes beautiful shavings. I've sat out in the garage and reduced huge boards into the softest pile of shavings you've ever seen.

Then I lay in it and make snow angels.

I think you're sick.

Jim

Jay Kilpatrick
01-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Claw, Warrington Pattern, Ball peen, mini-Sledge, Sledge, etc. There's just something intrinsically rewarding about beating on something:D... for a purpose, of course:o

Joe Chritz
01-25-2008, 11:52 AM
If you have ever built a wooden foundation for a house a palm nailer is so much fun it should be illegal. 2x8 joist hangers times 216 linear foot of foundation at 16" centers. I think I put in about 1400 joist hanger nails, all over head.

My fun tool to use would have the be the new Kubota. Its not like "really" working.

Joe