PDA

View Full Version : Best source for unfinished wood Plaques

Ken Maxwell
01-25-2008, 5:13 AM
I have been doing searches on the Internet for Unfinished hardwood boards and plaques and it doesn't seam like there are many places to buy them. I'm looking for 5" x 7" to 8" x 12" or something along those lines. Do most of the people on here buy them already cut to size or buy a board and cut them themselves. I'm looking for wholesellers with the best price both ways, cut to size and full boards.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike Null
01-25-2008, 5:43 AM
I don't know of anybody who sells unfinished plaques but you could call places like Moslow Bros., Studio Workshop and Colorado Heirloom to see if they would sell them that way.

I can make them myself but don't because I can buy the finished product cheaper.

Ken Maxwell
01-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Mike, what is the best place for finished plaques?

Mike Null
01-25-2008, 12:53 PM
Ken

I use Tropar for many of my plaques and I link to their catalog. If I'm looking for something where I cut the metal and assemble then I use JDS industries. Both are very good companies to work with.

My best selling plaque sizes are 9x12, 7x9 and 8x10 in that order.(from JDS) I sell more black piano finish than all other finishes combined. Next would be walnut, cherry and alder in that order.

Eddie Howard
01-26-2008, 9:25 AM
How many do you guys use in a year? What do you typically pay for such? and How many do you buy at a time?

Eddie

Mike Null
01-26-2008, 9:31 AM
I buy as needed trying to inventory as few as possible. But I do buy by the case. There is a link to JDS Industries in our suppliers list so you can get cost info from them. I generally mark up the JDS product with metal and engraving about 4 times so I'm selling a 9x12 for about $55-60.
If you want to go to the Tropar web site the discount is 66 2/3% off retail.

Scott Shepherd
01-26-2008, 9:43 AM
How about considering having them made by some of the creek members. I've had Ed Lang make several things for me and the prices are excellent and you get exactly what you asked for, not what you had to pick from a catalog.