PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Construction Techniqes

Michael Lutz
01-24-2008, 11:37 PM
I am building an extension for the table saw to put my router/lift in. The current extension is 3/4" BB covered melamine on both sides which is pretty beat up.

I was going to build a similar table out of BB plywood topped with laminate. The top layer will be 3/4" thick with a support grid underneath. Do I need to apply the laminate to both sides which would create difficulties glueing the support grid or glue the support grid and finish the bottom with shellac or water based poly to seal the wood? The goal is to maintain a flat top.

I was going to apply 3/4" maple edge banding around the outside of the support frame. Can that be glued to the Baltic Birch Plywood? I haven't worked a whole lot with solid wood, so I am still learning about wood movement.

Is it preferred to run the laminate over the edge banding or run the laminate into the edge banding and trim the edge banding flush?

Thanks,

Mike

glenn bradley
01-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Do I need to apply the laminate to both sides which would create difficulties glueing the support grid or glue the support grid and finish the bottom with shellac or water based poly to seal the wood? The goal is to maintain a flat top.

- Generally if one side is laminated, you should laminate the other. Screwing your support grid from underneath should be adequate.

I was going to apply 3/4" maple edge banding around the outside of the support frame. Can that be glued to the Baltic Birch Plywood? I haven't worked a whole lot with solid wood, so I am still learning about wood movement.

- I have glued solid banding as thick as 3/8" to BB ply and had no failures in almost three years of hard use.

Is it preferred to run the laminate over the edge banding or run the laminate into the edge banding and trim the edge banding flush?

- Personal choice. How thick is the banding? I would be inclined to run it up to the banding but others with more experience could give better advice.

keith ouellette
01-25-2008, 2:18 AM
Like Glen says you should laminate both side. I has something to do with warping.

You could laminate a piece of 3/4 ply to a 3/4 or 1" mdf With glue and screws instead of clamps and then laminate both sides. This will probably eliminate the need for the support you were going to make.

The few times I did edge banding up to laminate I would flush trim the laminate, make the edge banding a little thicker and then flush trim it to the laminate. this is a picture of the last one I did.