PDA

View Full Version : photograv experts

Jeff Chumbley
01-24-2008, 11:21 PM
I have a picture that I just cannot seem to get adjusted to look right. I was wondering if there was anyone that could help me. I am attaching a small version of the file. It is too large to post

Thanks

Jeff

Frank Corker
01-25-2008, 5:17 AM
Jeff it's the way your picture has been greyscaled. It looks to me like 8 bit greyscale but it needs to be 8 bit dithered greyscale. I'm sending you a pm (private message) with my email address. Send me the full image.

Jim Dornon
01-25-2008, 12:30 PM
Frank, What is the difference between 8 bit grey scale and 8 bit grey scale dithered ? Also, does an engraver need the image to be only 1 bit, black and white ? Jim

Frank Corker
01-25-2008, 3:17 PM
See for yourself. The video graphics card that you have is probably 16 or 32 bit which is why all of these bar the 2nd one is reasonable or good.

Pic 1 colour
Pic 2 8 bit greyscale
Pic 3 8 bit greyscale dithered
Pic 4 128 greyscale dithered

In photograv you could get away with pic 1, 4 and possibly 3 but not 2. 2 is always going to look that bad.

At this point I would just like to thank my dog for all his help!

James Jaragosky
01-25-2008, 3:35 PM
At this point I would just like to thank my dog for all his help![/quote]
looks like that dogie colon cleanser worked:eek:

Larry Bratton
01-25-2008, 5:23 PM
Frank:
The photo James posted above is in RGB color, it hasn't been converted to GS. I'm going to download it and work on it a bit for him also.

Frank Corker
01-26-2008, 7:16 AM
Larry it is now. It was colour then someone changed it to 8 bit greyscale and then they saved it, whatever program it was saved in later was defaulting back to 24 bit. The only way you can change this photograph is to reduce it down to 4 or 2 shades of grey or black and white, but believe me, it's dead in the water.

Larry Bratton
01-26-2008, 11:59 PM
Larry it is now. It was colour then someone changed it to 8 bit greyscale and then they saved it, whatever program it was saved in later was defaulting back to 24 bit. The only way you can change this photograph is to reduce it down to 4 or 2 shades of grey or black and white, but believe me, it's dead in the water.
Frank:
I'm brain dead, you'll have to pardon me. I also said James posted it and James was kind enough to gently tell me it was Jeff! I downloaded it anyhow and I got a pretty decent Tiff file in 8bit GS and it actually looked pretty good with a setting for alder in PG 3.0.