PDA

View Full Version : 3 Point Skew Tool

John Terefenko
01-24-2008, 10:40 PM
Read somewhere about a 3 point tool. Does anyone use one??? What can it do??? I also understand they are easy to make so has anyone made one and how do you go about this??? Thanks for the replies.

Gordon Seto
01-24-2008, 11:19 PM
You can watch the video here:
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/videos/2005_fall_point_tool.wmv
He also has a detail article in AAW journal detailing how to make the tool.

Jeff Bower
01-25-2008, 9:37 AM
Also check out this site....

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/three.shtml

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks for posting this. I picked up one of these at a sale and wasn't sure what to use it for; now I know.

Bruce

Jeff Bower
01-25-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for posting this. I picked up one of these at a sale and wasn't sure what to use it for; now I know.

Bruce

Now that is a quote from a tool junky. Bought it without knowing what to do with it..."must be good for something" goes thru my mind everytime I see a good "deal":D

Gordon Seto
01-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Now that is a quote from a tool junky.

Not quite there yet. Real junkie probably has this tools also:
http://woodturnertools.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WTT&Product_Code=CPI-TRH100-SET&Category_Code=PT5

Bill Stevener
01-25-2008, 4:18 PM
The tool from what I remember is a (sp/??) Skewey Gouge. I have one, really don't care for it, well maybe if I used it more, but I just prefer the skew more.

Kurt Bird
01-26-2008, 7:08 AM
Bill,
Sounds like you have the skewchigouge, skew, chisel, gouge.
Kurt Bird
:)

Terry Quiram
01-26-2008, 8:07 AM
These are very easy to make. I buy drill blanks from Enco. The blanks are already hardened. To point them I draw a circle around the blank, then set one end of the blank into my Wolverine and eyeball the three facets. The line is to judge when the facets are all the same length. For a ferrel on the handle I use copper pipe end cap. I turn the end and press on the ferrel then drill the hole. I then finish the remainder of the handle take it off the lathe and press in the blank using my bench vice. I normally make 3/8 size.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=17&PMITEM=891-4386

Terry

Greg Just
01-26-2008, 8:17 AM

Bruce

Sounds like a buddy of mine - his wife buys stuff on sale and says I'd be loosing money if I didn't buy it! :D

Bill Stevener
01-26-2008, 9:29 AM
Bill,
Sounds like you have the skewchigouge, skew, chisel, gouge.
Kurt Bird
:)

Thats how you say it, thanks Kurt. :)

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-26-2008, 5:13 PM
I'm not a tool junkie.............................I'm NOT a tool junkie........................... I AM NOT A tool junkie...................................Don't haqve one of those.:D:D:D:D

Bruce;)

Martin Braun
01-27-2008, 1:00 AM
It's funny, I always thought a 3 facet skew was kind of a gimic, but after watching the demo I took one of my 1/4" round enco HSS bits and sharpened it that way. I tried it out, and though I'm not a big fan of going against the grain up the vee (finish was not good), I was really quite pleased with the finish going the other way. Tomorrow I'm going to make a handle. It seems less catch prone than a regular skew or a beading tool.

Wayne Cannon
01-27-2008, 5:02 AM
My instructor at a Woodcraft class demonstrated one and we played with it. It can actually give you a pretty good finish right off the tool. It's very nice for doing small beads and adjacent sets of small beads -- within the limit of the angle of the tool.

John Terefenko
01-27-2008, 8:48 AM
Gordon

Thanks for the site. I downloaded it and was very informative. I am going to make a couple of these and give them a try.

Gordon you have mail. Thanks again

Alex Elias
01-27-2008, 5:10 PM
I just discoverd this not long ago. I bought the one from CSUSA the 5/8" and then nade one with a 1/4 steel rod to get in small hard to get places. This tool can do a lot of things I would not try otherwise.

Martin Braun
01-27-2008, 5:28 PM
Given the prices for HSS tool bits at enco, I'm inclined to make a few more myself. Has anyone experimented with the angle of the grind? I'm wondering what the limitations are with regards to the pitch of the beads.

Dean Thomas
01-27-2008, 8:07 PM
The joy of making it yourself is that you can play with angles forever! Just remember the basics that if you get the main angle too acute your edge doesn't last long. The skew angle is surely adjustable. Look at the factory angles that you can find. Anywhere from about 75º to about 35º in my own collection of tools.

I love my little round skew. Same sort of idea as the skewchigouge, just with one less grind on it. ;) It's a frequent go-to tool for me when I'm doing pens and other smaller work. Nice finish, easy to hone or sharpen on a flat stone. It's never seen a grinder.