PDA

View Full Version : Basic help with Vista

Dave Lehnert
01-24-2008, 10:20 PM
This should be so simple it's stupid. I have spent the last hour trying to figure it out. I have the new workbench book and CD from Chris S. of Popular woodworking. The disk does not auto play. In windows XP I could click on my computer, the CD drive and open it up. In Vista I click on "computer" and the only drives I see are my hard drive "c" and back up drive "d" how in the world do I open the CD in vista?

glenn bradley
01-24-2008, 11:26 PM
Sounds like your system is not identifying your CD drive. Was it part of a system that came with Vista or an add on? Or did it work with XP and you upgraded to Vista and now its gone?

Steve knight
01-25-2008, 1:30 AM
I think vista calls the cd the backup drive. I have not had to access the cdrom on my vista machine but I remember seeing that and saying huh? right click on it and choose explore

JayStPeter
01-25-2008, 5:35 PM
First I'd try the backup drive d as Steve suggested.

Is it a new PC, or did you have it working before installing Vista?

A common problem is cables being loose (especially in CD/floppy drives) on new machines. Open it up and give all the drive cables a push to snug them up.

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2008, 9:34 PM
Thanks guys for the help. The computer is all new with Vista preinstalled. Just an update to what I found. Vistia has a problem with finding the Cd/DVD drive. You need to remove the upper and lower filters. After that the DVD drive works like it should.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Dave Lehnert
01-25-2008, 9:38 PM
I think vista calls the cd the backup drive. I have not had to access the cdrom on my vista machine but I remember seeing that and saying huh? right click on it and choose explore

On my Gateway laptop the recovery drive "D" is a small hard drive (I guess) then I have the main hard drive "c" like most computers. The dvd drive id drive "e"