PDA

View Full Version : Which Vortex or Slope has the greatest pull?

Michael Lutz
01-24-2008, 9:58 PM
Lately, I have been pulled in all different directions.

Firstly, I tired of some of the posts in the General Forum. So I started reading posts in the turners forum last fall. I was impressed with a lot of the work of the posters. I have a mini lathe and have done some pens in the past. They were OK. I didn't like spending money for the pen kits so after making several for myself and others I stopped. I saw a bowl that had been turned and determined I could do that. Except I needed a bowl gouge and didn't have the slightest clue as to how to turn a bowl. I have a wooded yard so I would have free wood. I started lusting after all the larger lathes eveyone had. For christmas I received some Richard Raffan turning books which I have been reading.

Secondly, for christmas I received my first Festool a ETS 150/3. I went to my local Woodcraft to get an adaptor to connect the sander to my Fein Vac with my Porter Cable hose. I picked up the Festool 2007 catalog. I have been paging through it almost continuosly since then. I am debating over my next purchase will it be the OF1400 or OF1010 router or another sander. I just love the systainer for the sander. It made me move some of my tool cases to the attic to consolidate. I also am happy that my hand doesn't get numb after using it like on my porter cable sander. I was looking at all the attachments you could get for the routers and imagining all the things you could do even run it on guide rails. Now I have a PC 690 with a plunge base that I have never used so why do I need a plunge router that is twice as expensive as other routers in its class. Basically I dislike using a router due to all the chips they kick up and spew all over my disorganized shop based on using my PC. Then there is the jigsaw too. What to do?

Thirdly, due to some good recommendations I picked up a copy of Popular Woodworking. I liked it and visited the website for more information. I signed up for the email newsletter. One of the newsletters had a discount on the 2007 issues on CD, so before the discount ended on Dec 24 I ordered the CD and while I was at it I ordered all the Woodworking Magazine issues on CD. I have really enjoyed the hand tool and workbench articles. I have since started visiting the neander forum every day to see what is going on. I was interested in hand tools about 6 or 7 years ago. I bought some planes a couple of 3's, 4, 4 1/2, 605, 6 then. I have not used any of them since I bought them. Why do you ask, did I not use them? I read about every sharpening technique known to man, but didn't use any of them. I have a Tormek, but was not comfortable with the flattening technique so I lost interest in sharpening the plane blades. Similar story with my chisels, none of them are sharp so I don't use them. After reading a thread about sharpening and reading articles about hand tools, I decided to make an effort to sharpen all my plane blades and chisels. This required a few items from Woodcraft to supplement the old stones I inherited from SWMBO's grand father and a pair of ceramic stones I purchased at Woodcraft several years ago. While there I checked out the OF1400 and the Sorby 3/8" bowl gouge, I want them both.

All this while I have been building shop cabinets out of cheap plywood to at least get everything in the shop off the floor and in a semi-organized status prior to starting on a major built in desk project that will be a good test of my mediocre WW skills. I also took it upon myself to reorganize my small shop space to fit in a future bandsaw and upgraded lathe (mustard:cool:). I also plan to make a dedicated sharpening area so I can sharpen all the hand and turning tools.

So which slope or vortex has the greatest pull? At this point the Festool and neander tools are the steapest slopes, since they can be used for the undless string of house projects in the pipeline.

Thanks for listening to my diatribe,

Mike

Don Bullock
01-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Mike, I hear you loud and clear. All those slopes are very slippery. At my age I want it all, but due to the projects I'm working on and the ones I have planned, the Festool is the one I'm sliding down first. I've already started. That may be followed by the Neander slope. Unfortunately I have very little experience with most hand tools. I hope to correct that by taking some classes in the next few years after I retire and am settled into a decent shop. As for turning, I've done some and enjoyed it very much. Right now my choice of projects, mainly various forms of Arts and Crafts furniture, doesn't lend itself to much turning. I'm sure that I get a lathe sometime in the future because I did enjoy it in the past. My dream is to be able to move within the next two - three years and have a "dedicated" shop. Then I can concentrate on more tools and machines. For now I'm very cramped for space and budget.

Michael Gibbons
01-25-2008, 1:39 AM
Mike, right now it's hand tools for me. I'm really trying to refine my work when possible. Did you ever try to take a .001 slice off of a board to make it just right? It's just not possible on a table saw or jointer. I'm also in the design stage of building my version of the HO Studley tool cabinet. Next would be turning. My lathe sucks though- it's a Ridgid from the borg. It's good enough to start with but it 's too light and doesn't have a flat bed so I can't use aftermarket accessories.When I do upgrade,I'm going directly to a Oneway 2436. I'm currently trying to learn to use the Alan Lacer Skew chisel-having some success. Festool seems to be the clic to join but just not yet.

Brian Kent
01-25-2008, 10:57 AM
Slipperiest slope?

Festool hand-held lathe with cocobolo handles and silent chip-collection! :D

Bill Wyko
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Definitely wood turning. There's nothing like watching the ribbons of wood fly as your piece transforms into a work of art. Festool is a close second.:D

Greg Cole
01-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Which ever slope you are currently is generally the steepest..... so I am trying to keep myself to one at a time. My pockets have a bottom and all....
The Neander one got me last year and I'm recovering... as in using the loot and not adding to the collection faster than I learn how to use it.
The Festool one is begging for my attention via a Domino. And I KNOW in advance, a Domino won't be the last nor only... cause you "have to have" the vacuum" with this, that ... I know you don't really "have" to have it, but you all know where I'm headed with that one.
Turning will have to wait til I have the room and time for it... so maybe that's one slope I don't hit for awhile.

When's my next bonus check hit the bank anyway? LOLOL

Greg

Mark Stutz
01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Watching those long curls of wet wood flying all over the place, water slinging could certainly be addictive, but so far I've managed to control the vortex. Use the lathe more for chisel handles, mallets, pens, etc.

The Slope however, is another story!:eek::D I'm so far down the slide that there is no hope for recovery!:D What many don't realize, is that it's not just planes...it's saws, chisels, braces...:eek:

So far I've not indulged in Festool...can't say I don't look every time I'm in Woodcraft, though!

Eric Gustafson
01-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Definitely wood turning. There's nothing like watching the ribbons of wood fly as your piece transforms into a work of art.

I have first hand knowledge that Bill is also sucked into the Festool vortex! :D

Jim Becker
01-25-2008, 1:07 PM
More slopes than a ski resort imn the alps!!

So why choose just one when there is so much to enjoy on all of those slipery slopes? :D

Rod Sheridan
01-25-2008, 1:12 PM
Hobbies are the vortex, woodworking, vintage motorcycles, gardening, travelling, books.......Geez if I'd known I would develop so many hobbies I would have picked a higher paying profession with more vacation time.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. Did I mention larger house, garden, garage, shop and library?

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2008, 1:43 PM
Watching a form take shape on the lathe is very cool. Making plane shavings is right up there though. But there is something very addictive about just working with or even tuning up and fiddling around with hand tools. Braces and drills particularly for me lately. Why is that?

David Duke
01-25-2008, 2:14 PM
I actually voted for Festool but think for most it is bound to be turning.........those guys and gals are CRAZY :eek::eek::D !!

The reason I say Festool is that I REALLY want one of dang Dominoes but haven't really figured out yet how to justify it but I'm pretty sure that before the end of this year I will legitimately be able to say I NEED ONE OF THOSE :D:D:D !!

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

David Weaver
01-25-2008, 2:38 PM
It would seem that the indication from all of the above is that it's best to stay away from all three of these things, and that nothing else is really nearly as dangerous.

I've gotten sucked in on two of these, and one of them completely unintentionally (intentionally got the hand tools, unintentionally got stuck on the very satisfying feeling of turning something when some old hand tools needed handles).

Haven't gotten sucked into the festool stuff yet, but I think the use of the 150/3, domino or a plunge cut saw is something I don't ever want to try to find out if it really is the "crack" of the portable power tools that every says it is.

Tom Sherman
01-25-2008, 2:38 PM
I must cast my vote for the turning vortex, there's something magical about spinning wood and the curls coming from it.