PDA

View Full Version : Help! Pen Turners

Harris Ogburn
01-24-2008, 7:51 PM
Can I save this? I was assembling a Euro Pen and pushed the twist mechanism too far into the tube. It needs to come out about 1/4". How do I go about doing this? Thanks

Greg Ketell
01-24-2008, 7:56 PM
Yes, fairly easily with the help of a few tools from Harbor Freight.

You need a set of transfer punches. They run $10 for the full set.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=3577

You remove the pen from the transmission and insert the biggest punch that will fit through the transmission towards the nib. Hit the punch with a steel hammer a few times and the nib will pop out. Get the biggest punch that will fit up the tube and pound out the transmission (all the way). Reseat the nib. Reseat the transmission.

Easy and takes less than 5 minutes.

GK

Doug Anderson
01-24-2008, 8:52 PM
I like Greg's answer (and will be heading over to my local HF tomorrow), but I wanted you to know that Woodcraft (and others) offer 7 and 10 mm pen disassembly kits ($13 at Woodcraft). They state that the kits do NOT work for pencil kits. See: http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1603

The last time I had to disassemble a kit, I wrapped it in a thick shop towel and secured it in a wooden vise (I wasn't able to hold the blank in my hand securely enough while banging on the punch). Worked like a charm.

Doug in Huntsville, AL

The Usual Disclaimer: I have no financial or other affiliation with Woodcraft.

robert hainstock
01-25-2008, 9:53 AM
Most pen disasembly kits are multi tool units. I reccomend them for most disasembly jobs, especialy if the pointed end has been inserted. It has to come out first. :(
Bob

Harris Ogburn
01-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I went Woodcraft and got the disassembly kit today.

David Wilhelm
01-25-2008, 3:16 PM
If you open up your tool box or look around your shop you may already have all you need. hints... welding rods, old drill bits, alignment punches, awles, threaded rod, as long as it's a good fit and it square on the end.