PDA

View Full Version : Isolating table saw vibrations

Andrew Nemeth
01-24-2008, 5:31 PM
I have rebuilt and refurbished a Jet cabinet saw from 1984. I did not replace the the arbor, arbor bearings, pulleys, or the motor because everything seemed tight (although maybe I am not checking them properly). After putting everything back together and installing three linked belts (all the same number of links) I am still getting a pretty significant vibration. The saw actually cuts pretty smooth, but it is annoying to have anything I set down to the right of the fence vibrating and falling on the floor while I am working.

What are the possible causes of the vibration and how can I go about isolating it? I don't mind replacing parts as needed but I don't want to spend money or time on replacing parts that are good if I don't need to.

Thanks for any help you can give me,

Andrew

Larry Fox
01-24-2008, 5:35 PM
I have heard that you can't really use the link-belts on a pully that requires three belts as they need to be a matched set in order to work properly. That said, I have nothing to back that up other than what I have heard from others. Another thing you might want to check is that the facces of the pulleys are in-line with each other. If the belts are tracking at an angle I can see where that would introduce vibration, especially when spinning down.

Also, I am assuming that you checked to make sure that anything that should be tight is (monuting bolts etc.) and that anything that should be loose is.

Any significant runout on the motor shaft?