PDA

View Full Version : Small gloat... WS2000

Bill Huber
01-24-2008, 4:26 PM
My chisels are not what I call sharp, I can use them but they could be much better. I have worked with them on my stones and can get them sharp enough to do the job I need them to do but they could be much better.

I had a $25 off from Amazon I thought for $74 I would give the WS200 a try. Now I know the WS3000 is a much better machine but at this point in my skill level I am not using my chisels that much. So total out the door was $74 after the $25 off and free shipping was not bad at all.

Set up is nothing, the hardest part of it is getting the back off the sanding disk, I was a little worried that putting the disk on the wheel would be a problem to line up but I found that not the case and it was very easy.

To learn to use it I had some old chisels that I use for scrapping and things like that and they were a mess. So what better to practice on then them. 4 min. after I started I had a chisel that was sharp and could shave the hair on my arm. (really).

It is a dry system and you do have to watch out for heat which is normal but is really not a problem you can feel the heat as you are working on a chisel.

I did find that no matter how hard I tried there was still a small burr on the edge, 2 or 3 passes with my diamond card and they were gone and a very sharp edge was left.

So would I buy one for $99, yes now that I know that it really works and does a very good job. In the future if I get to the point I am using more hand tools and chisels I may even look at the WS3000 but for now this unit will do me just fine.

I also sharpened some screwdrivers and my 2 pocket knives with it and again it worked very well. On the knives I had to take the burr off but that was no problem a few passes with my ceramic sticks took care of it.

It does put out a lot of metal dust so I can see I will be using the shop vac and some type of box around it. There is also one other little problem, you do all your chisel work on one side and the tool rest for other things is on the other side, so you really can not mount it to a bench very well and use both sides of the machine.

All in all I really like it and am very glad I got it.

Dave Verstraete
01-24-2008, 4:31 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the information. I have been looking at these at the local Woodcraft store. Anyone else have experience with these.

Greg Sznajdruk
01-24-2008, 6:13 PM
Bill,
Thanks for the information. I have been looking at these at the local Woodcraft store. Anyone else have experience with these.

Dave:

There are about 6 or 7 reviews on this forum. Key in WS3000 in the search field.

Greg

Bill Huber
01-24-2008, 7:15 PM
Dave:

There are about 6 or 7 reviews on this forum. Key in WS3000 in the search field.

Greg

The reason I put this up was there is not much on the WS2000, there is a lot on the WS3000 but not on the 2000 and they are different machines.

The WS2000 is really more of a general machine then a real chisel sharpening system, it runs at 1750 rpm where the WS3000 only runs at 550 rpm.

matt dumney
01-24-2008, 7:48 PM
thanks for the write up. i've been eyeing this outfit.