PDA

View Full Version : lazy suzan ideas

Rick Moyer
01-24-2008, 4:10 PM
I want to be able to rotate pcs. for finishing, etc. I have seen these for a few dollars up to many dollars, even at the same rated weights. any recommendations? Diameters? weight limits? I expect to rotate from small up to a bookcase.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2008, 4:22 PM
For larger items, I've been using 1 or 2 furniture moving carts with a sheet of plywood on top. The plywood protects the cart(s) from overspray and provides a flatter surface. There is also an advantage that you can easily move the piece somewhere else for drying while you spray something else.

For small parts, I bought a lazy susan mechanism at Lowes and attached a piece of plywood to the top.

Jim McFarland
01-24-2008, 5:33 PM
I bought the 12" from Lee Valley for the very purpose you describe. I haven't built the finishing platform yet but the bearings look they'll do the job.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=44042&cat=1,250,43298,43316

Brad Shipton
01-24-2008, 5:40 PM
If you want high quality complete versions you might want to take a look at Hafele or Hettich. They cost probably 1.5 to 2 times more, but how many years will you be using it? Well worth it to me. I took a look at the Lee Valley ones once, and quickly decided they were far too sloppy for me, but I am a fussy individual. Instead of a lazy susan you could look at the hidden versions. One part slides behind the return portion of the cabinet. One pulls out and then the other can be accessed. More efficient use of the space I think given that both are square.

Brad