PDA

View Full Version : Tablesaw blade choice

Joe Petersen
01-24-2008, 3:46 PM
I hope I'm not beating this into the ground, but here goes.

I want to buy a new blade for my tablesaw. I don't have a fortune and can't afford the WWII. I did see this used at a show here in Atlanta and understand its ability when the demonstrator could make paper thin veneer. He took both hands off the wood and dusted his shirt off with the blade spinning. I also understand a lot of that was the saw too.

I have a cheap, small tablesaw with a ripping blade. I am working toward several upgrades like an outfeed table and a router insert. I want a finishing crosscut blade.

I can't spend more than $50 and looked around at the two big stores. There is a Firestorm with precision ground teeth, and a couple Freud's that would fit the bill. An Irwin for $25.

Would the Firestorm be worthwhile or do I just need to bite the bullet and pay a little more? What is the minimum teeth to provide a good finish?

Lee Koepke
01-24-2008, 3:50 PM
I just got a Freud Glue Line Rip blade from an 'auction' for 42 delivered. Nice cuts. very nice.

I got a systimatic cross cut blade for almost the same $$. Try a search on here for TS blades, there are a few VERY thorough discussions and some charts even for the type of cuts you may be performing.

That said, I have 2 Freuds, and are pleased with both.

scott spencer
01-24-2008, 4:08 PM
Amazon has the LU88R010 (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU88R010-10-Inch-Crosscutting-PermaShield/dp/B0000225UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201208971&sr=1-1) for ~ $40.50 shipped after 10% discount code...outstanding cut up to ~ 6/4". I would only recommend the Irwin or Firestorm blades to someone I didn't like. ;) If you want to buy local, your big box stores should have the Diablo or Avanti blades that are similar, but if you can wait, I think the Industrial blade is a step up. LU88 review (http://www99.epinions.com/review/Freud_60T_Crosscut_Table_Saw_Blade_LU88R010/content_226312687236).

DeWalt's new Precision Trim series is a decent too.

My blade ratings (http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Table_Saw_Blade_Comparisons)

Bruce Page
01-24-2008, 4:18 PM
You didn’t mention whether you run a thin kerf or not, I’m assuming that you do. If that is the case, the Freud LU88R010 is a good crosscut blade for less than $50.00. I have always been happy with my Freud blades.

Charles McCracken
01-24-2008, 4:18 PM
What is the minimum teeth to provide a good finish?

I'm too biased to answer the first part of your post ;) but for fine crosscuts in most stock you will want a blade with 60 teeth or more, preferably with alternating top bevel grind.

Mark Rios
01-24-2008, 4:28 PM
So Joe, which is it, thin or regular kerf?

Also, I sent you a PM.

Brian Penning
01-24-2008, 4:31 PM
the demonstrator could make paper thin veneer. He took both hands off the wood and dusted his shirt off with the blade spinning.

Not to hijack the thread but I'm having a little trouble visualizing what happened above.

Joe Petersen
01-24-2008, 4:39 PM
I don't think my purposes matter what thickness I need. Thin or standard I guess.

The demonstrator ran a board, rip cut, halfway through the board 2 1/2 inch thick or so. At the midpoint, he just took both hands off and let the blade run with the board in place. He dusted his hands on his shirt to demonstrate the trueness, lateral run-out, if you will.

I would never attempt this, but it did prove a point. No burn marks either.

Pat Germain
01-24-2008, 4:40 PM
I recently picked up an Avanti 80 tooth crosscut blade from my local borg. The price was right at $50 before tax. I've used it only a few times, but it did cut very nicely. It also spins very smoothly.

NICK BARBOZA
01-24-2008, 4:40 PM
I agree with the Freud statements. I have a couple Glue line rip blades myself and love them. I also have a Freud crosscut one as well, i think it is a 60 tooth. they might be out of your budget though ($60-$80)

Bas Pluim
01-24-2008, 4:49 PM
Don't get the Firestorm blade. I've used the Firestorm 60T "finishing" blade, and the cuts were poor. I now use it for cutting PVC pipe and other materials that could ruin my good blades. Only reason I bought it was because (a) I knew nothing about blades or woodworking and (b) the saw (now sold) came with a Firestorm 40T.

I have the 80T thin kerf Freud, and it cuts beautifully. I highly recommend it. Night and day difference compared to the Firestorm. If the Freud is too expensive, you may also want to look at Delta or DeWalt. There are lots of reviews on the web, and the winners vary slightly, but a common theme is price: Good blades start at $40.

Bruce Page
01-24-2008, 4:49 PM
I don't think my purposes matter what thickness I need. Thin or standard I guess.

Joe, you mentioned that you have a “small tablesaw”. Generally, small tablesaws are underpowered and you would want to run thin kerf. My old Craftsman contractor TS cut hardwoods much better using the thin kerf blade.

Randal Stevenson
01-24-2008, 4:59 PM
Not to hijack the thread but I'm having a little trouble visualizing what happened above.

My local show a few years ago (I think two), had a gentleman using a tuned contractor saw, on which he ran a piece of Oak through, and ripped thin pieces of veneer. At one point they stop pushing the material, and let it sit in an attempt to show it doesn't burn.

If you go to Woods site, they just revised thier review of Table Saw blades. Since I don't know how long it will be around, put www in front of woodmagazine.com/wood/pdf/WOOD-Saw-Blades-II-The-Retest.pdf

In it, was an inexpensive, borg available Freud blade, if your looking for local. (Diablo)
This may also help show any spouse, the costs of blades (as well as "buddies" that want to borrow your equipment).

JayStPeter
01-24-2008, 5:03 PM
I'd go here (http://www.woodmagazine.com/wood/pdf/WOOD-Saw-Blades-II-The-Retest.pdf). This test is quite good and you'll be able to pick a compromise between price/performance pretty well from the chart given.

Jay

scott spencer
01-24-2008, 5:20 PM
The test by Wood Mag was for 40 tooth general purpose blades, not fine finish crosscut blades.

Paul Engle
01-24-2008, 5:27 PM
I've had my narrow curf / 60 tooth Freud for over 10 years , resharpened 2 times and it is STILL the smoothest I have ever used ( Jet 10" contractor ts)

Joe Petersen
01-24-2008, 6:12 PM
Amazon has the LU88R010 (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LU88R010-10-Inch-Crosscutting-PermaShield/dp/B0000225UI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1201208971&sr=1-1) for ~ $40.50 shipped after 10% discount code...outstanding cut up to ~ 6/4".

The link on Amazon shows that with free shipping at 34.99. Do you have a discount code on top of that or am I being greedy? You posted a link to the Tenyru. Has that been retracted? I liked the price a lot.

edit: somehow the link opened to an LU86. Now I see the LU88.

scott spencer
01-24-2008, 7:39 PM
The link on Amazon shows that with free shipping at 34.99. Do you have a discount code on top of that or am I being greedy? You posted a link to the Tenyru. Has that been retracted? I liked the price a lot.

edit: somehow the link opened to an LU86. Now I see the LU88.

Wonder if the links got crossed up? It comes up at $44.99 now with free shipping, then discount 10%.

Special Offers and Product Promotions

* Save 10% each on Qualifying Freud Items offered by Amazon.com when you purchase 1 or more. Enter code FREUDIO8 at checkout. Here's how (restrictions apply)

I removed a couple of 40T recommendations once I realized you wanted a finishing crosscut blade...the LU86 and Tenryu are general purpose blades.

Eddie Darby
01-25-2008, 8:21 PM
Whatever blade you decide to get, just make sure that you tune-up your saw. That is why the guy doing the demo was able to lift his hands off.

Don't lift your hands off!!!! No matter what.

Dave Lewis
01-25-2008, 9:22 PM
I've bought Everlast blades thru a local source (primary business is sharpening).

Pat Germain
01-25-2008, 9:32 PM
^^ Hey, I just picked up my Forrest WWII from the sharpener today and he also carries Everlast. FWIW, the guy who sharpens my blades has been doing it since the 70's and he said Forrest blades are indeed of very high quality. I asked him if he checked my WWII for flattness. He laughed it off and said unless I ran over it with my truck, I shouldn't worry about it. Something about the kind of steel Forrest uses. (?) He also said he would have noticed during sharpening if it was warped.

I'll have to try the Everlast blades next time I'm in the market.

rocky brown
01-26-2008, 3:34 AM
oops- never mind.

fyi,
rb

Joe Petersen
01-26-2008, 3:23 PM
I wouldn't take my hands off the wood if my life depended on it. I am now pretty mindful when using the saw.

One time I was using my 10" chopsaw to cut small 2" lengths of tree limbs 2" diameter for my aluminum furnace. I hit a split section and got slammed in the gut with the stick. I earned a bruise the size of a cup lid and a healthy respect for both saws.

The old saying goes "you can polish a turd, but it's still a turd." I bought this saw at a yard-sale and have never gotten good cuts with it. Before I buy a crosscut blade I decided to inspect it a bit. The arbor spindle has .001 to .003 runout, but the inside mount flange is about .006". These aren't exact. I used a straight edge and feeler gauge because I don't have an indicator. The blade has a pronounced wobble to it.

Could blade stabilizers help this, or do I just need a new saw. I thought of trying wedge shaped washers to try to compensate for run-out, but don't know if that would be possible.

Mike Seals
01-26-2008, 4:53 PM
I bought a Freud 24 tooth for ripping oak a few years back. I was so impressed I bought the 80 tooth diablo and have enjoyed it. Last week I bought the 96 tooth for the 12" miter saw and I'm happy.

Could I buy better blades, probably, but for the price and what I do, the Freuds work just fine. I do have a few Dewalts, that I use from time to time, but they do not cut as well as the Freuds in my book.

scott spencer
01-26-2008, 7:20 PM
I bought a Freud 24 tooth for ripping oak a few years back. I was so impressed I bought the 80 tooth diablo and have enjoyed it. Last week I bought the 96 tooth for the 12" miter saw and I'm happy.

Could I buy better blades, probably, but for the price and what I do, the Freuds work just fine. I do have a few Dewalts, that I use from time to time, but they do not cut as well as the Freuds in my book.

Hi Mike - It's good to compare apples to apples if possible because there are some pertinent variables. Both of these companies market multiple lines with different intended markets and quality levels...Freud has the Avanti, Diablo, Industrial, and Premier lines...DW used to have the Series 20, 40, and 60, but now it appears that they now offer the Contractor and Precision Trim (PT) series. The lower end DW line is not as evolved as the Freud lines IMO (Diablo/Avanti), but the former DW Series 40 and 60 were excellent, and my brief experience with the PT series has been favorable. Which DW blades do you have?

George Bowen
01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I picked up a new Freud 80t thin kerf finish/plywood/laminate blade for $31 and $8 for shipping.

Great blade and half price from most other places online.

Wayne Cannon
01-27-2008, 4:03 AM
One of the magazines recently reviewed blades and said that you can come very, very close to WWII quality with a significantly less expensive blade. Unfortunately, I don't remember the results, but I know one of the Freuds was a very close 2nd to the WWII for half the price. Tenyru was one of the good ones.

The thin blades require less power for a given board thickness/hardness, but have a tendency to vibrate more (use a stabilizer) than the thicker 1/8" blades. If I recall, the cut quality of the best thin-kerf blades was very comparable to the thicker blades.