PDA

View Full Version : F-style clamps bargain alert

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2008, 2:58 PM
I think that Jet makes the best F-style clamps available - large comfortable screw grips (like those on their parallel-jaw clamps), padded jaws, clutch type on all sizes, beefy bars - but they're really hard to find. I got a set when Rockler had 'em on sale about a year ago, and haven't seen them anywhere since then, except from a third-party through Amazon. Some Jet dealers will special-order 'em for you.

However, I discovered that the Sears Craftsman :eek: bar clamps are almost identical, and maybe even a little better with acme screw threads instead of the v-thread screws that the Jets have.

I also discovered that Sears has these puppies on sale until Saturday for $7.99, $8.99 and $9.99 for the 6, 12 and 24-inch models respectively. In addition, they have one of those "15% off anything you can stuff in this shopping bag" deals, and that applies to sale merchandise too.

The only trick is finding a store that has a good supply in stock. I bought two each of the 6" and 24" and exhausted their inventory. But all is not lost. Order them online for local pick-up which locks in the sale price, plus you'll be offered 15% off for purchasing online. I purchased four more that should come in sometime next week.

keith ouellette
01-24-2008, 3:09 PM
Thats a good price. I was just going to post that Harbor freight (I know there is no comparison) has there metal bar clamps on sale at $1.89 for 6" to $5.89 for 36". These are not the orange and black plastic squeeze grips they have (Which are junk). I bought two of these a month ago and they work good But I doubt they nearly as good as the ones your talking about.

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2008, 3:25 PM
Thats a good price. I was just going to post that Harbor freight (I know there is no comparison) has there metal bar clamps on sale at $1.89 for 6" to $5.89 for 36". These are not the orange and black plastic squeeze grips they have (Which are junk). I bought two of these a month ago and they work good But I doubt they nearly as good as the ones your talking about.

The two problems I've had with HF F-styles is the screws don't quite line up with the upper jaw, and the upper jaws aren't square to the bar.

On the other hand, their aluminum bar clamps (the "bar" is an aluminum tube and has a sliding jaw that locks against notches stamped into the bar) work quite nice, especially for clamping edge-glued table tops or door panels.

Like everything else at HF, ya gotta look carefully at what you're buying. Some is junk, but some is very serviceable.

keith ouellette
01-24-2008, 3:37 PM
The two problems I've had with HF F-styles is the screws don't quite line up with the upper jaw, and the upper jaws aren't square to the bar.

On the other hand, their aluminum bar clamps (the "bar" is an aluminum tube and has a sliding jaw that locks against notches stamped into the bar) work quite nice, especially for clamping edge-glued table tops or door panels.

Like everything else at HF, ya gotta look carefully at what you're buying. Some is junk, but some is very serviceable.

I couldn't agree more. I only use the hf clamps to fill in between better clamps. A lot of there stuff is hit or miss.

Ben Martin
01-24-2008, 3:43 PM
Mind posting a pictures of the clamps that you are talking about? I need some clamps. Also, just a note, if you shop online EVERYTHING in tools is 15% off, no bag needed.

Lee Koepke
01-24-2008, 3:47 PM
I couldn't agree more. I only use the hf clamps to fill in between better clamps. A lot of there stuff is hit or miss.
i was at Big Lots the other day and they had 4 12" HF style F clamps for $10. i just had to ...:rolleyes:

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2008, 4:01 PM
Pictures? Sure...

Here's the Jet:
http://s7d2.scene7.com/is/image/WMHToolGroup/52812_main?$web_wmh_main$

Here's the Craftsman:
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00966732000?hei=250&wid=250&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0
Howzat?

And yes, you're right about the online discount. Not sure if it'll expire on Saturday like the store bag will...

Charles Wiggins
01-24-2008, 4:13 PM
Rockler has their 12" F-style (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10268) for $5.49

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2008, 4:36 PM
Rockler has their 12" F-style (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10268) for $5.49

Those aren't bad, but I prefer the clutch-type. Even Columbian's are clutch-type for clamps larger than 6".

I also have a bit of a sour taste when it comes to Rockler and clamps. I bought an assortment of the Jets on sale at Rockler about a year ago, and hadn't seen any more either in the store or online. About a month or so ago, they advertised "Jet bar clamps" on sale. I drove the 10-15 miles to my nearest Rockler to pick up some only to discover that they were actually Columbian clamps, and the sales staff insisted that they were Jets because they came in boxes from the WMH Tool Group.

Sorry guys - you can put Maxwell House in a Starbucks bag, and it's still Maxwell House...

Brian Fulkerson
01-24-2008, 5:00 PM
All of the Jet clamps are on sale right now.

24" F Clamps : $9.89
12" : $8.49

All other sizes vary slightly by length. Their Paralell clamps are also on sale. You can see a copy of their add from the Jet website.

I think this beats Sears hands down!!

Brian

Steve Sawyer
01-24-2008, 10:46 PM
All of the Jet clamps are on sale right now.

24" F Clamps : $9.89
12" : $8.49

All other sizes vary slightly by length. Their Paralell clamps are also on sale. You can see a copy of their add from the Jet website.

I think this beats Sears hands down!!

Brian

Do the math. Price-wise the Sears deal is better. $9.99 for the 24" less 15% ($8.49). $8.99 for the 12" less 15% ($7.64). Also, where can I get the Jet clamps? The only places I've found them is with Amazon (not on sale and you have to pay shipping) or I can have 'em special-ordered through a local industrial tool supplier.

And as I mentioned, in one small way the Craftsman clamps are maybe just a scrunch better than the Jet...

Hands down?

Edit: I just found the flyer on the Jet website. Those are different clamps than the ones I bought last year, and they look to be very, very nice. The trigger clutch release is similar to the ones on the parallel jaw clamps, and the whole thing looks much heavier - very good deal indeed at that price, but again, it's hard to find them. I found one online source, woodworkersshop.com, so you'd have to add freight, but if reasonable these still look to be a good deal. Search for a 708047 Jet clamp if you want to try and find 'em elsewhere.