PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to get an opinion on the Festool Jig Saw please.

Bill Wyko
01-24-2008, 2:44 PM
My Hilti wanders and it could be as much as 125 bucks to repair it. I'm considering the Festool Jigsaw and would like some opinions on its opperation. Does the blade lean when cutting tight corners? Will it use readilly available blades? is it easy to cut dead on, on the line? I need total accuracy. I'm one of those guys that sees a cut as one side of the line, slightly off center, center or any variation of the above. Thanks.:)

Justin Bukoski
01-24-2008, 2:58 PM
Bill, I find the festool jigsaw to be the most accurate one I have ever used. It does use standard t-shank blades and the dust collection makes it easier to see the line. I don't really use it for super accurate work but it is easier to use and more accurate than the Bosch it replaced.

Matt Meiser
01-24-2008, 3:17 PM
There's a poll going on right now on our club's forum regarding the Festool vs. the Bosch. 18 of 18 people who have voted so far voted for the Bosch. Including at least 1 Festool owner who said that he would buy the Bosch if he had to do it again.

Dave Falkenstein
01-24-2008, 3:22 PM
I replaced an older model Bosch jig saw with a Festool jig saw several years ago. It was a significant upgrade at the time.

The blade guides on the Festool saw do the job well - very little if any bending of the blade under extreme conditions. The blade guides are adjustable for a tight fit and smooth operation.

Any t-shank blade will work in the Festool saw, but there are a few blades that are only sold by Festool. I use Festool blades myself.

One thing some users don't like is the visibility of the cut line, especially when using the dust shroud. I don't find it to be a problem, as I use the pointer at the front of the zero clearance insert to guide the saw. Then again, I'm not typically after super accurate cuts.

Google the Festool Owners Group for much more detail on the Festool jig saw.

Chris Padilla
01-24-2008, 3:33 PM
My F jigsaw cuts nice 'n square. Frankly, I'm amazed it can do that but it does! I have no experience with the Bosch so cannot comment. I can only compare it to my old Craftsman jigsaw and that thing was just horrible.

Eric Parham
01-24-2008, 9:37 PM
I have the Festool and the newer Bosch. The Festool is a great saw you will be very happy with it. It cuts nice and square, it is easy to see the cut line and handles very good. I do how ever think the Bosch is every bit as good. The Festool jig saw is the only Festool I have I would not buy again. I can pay the price for Festool when it does something for me but with the jig saw, the Bosch is so good there really is no reason not to but it.

Chris Rosenberger
01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
I have the Festool jig saw & the newer Bosch jig saw. I have been using Bosh jig saws for over 17 years. I like the Festool better than any of the Bosch saws I have used. It is a smoother running saw.

Al Garay
01-25-2008, 12:49 AM
Chris,

Which Bosch jigsaw do you have? I'm curious if it's the 1590 (D-handle) or 1591 (Barrel grip) or the 1587, 1581?

Russ Filtz
01-25-2008, 7:38 AM
I had a few year old Bosch D-handle with the supposed easy twist knob blade change. The thing fell out once and never really worked well again. It also would NEVER cut square no matter how gently and careful I was. Festool cuts MUCH better and the lever action blade change is unbelievably easy. Even the Festool storage case is cooler!

The only thing I don't like with Festool is the cut line does get obscured (I run mine without a dust vacuum). I think the Bosch may blow motor air over the area to help keep it clear, but not sure.

Henk Marais
01-25-2008, 8:27 AM
I have a Festool Barrel grip and a Bosch D Handle. The Bosh is by far my Favourate.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-25-2008, 9:58 AM
If you don't care about DC get the Bosch.
They are both good saws but you pay more for the DC options.

Mark Roderick
01-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Wow. Better than a Bosch? That's saying something.

Bill Wyko
01-25-2008, 11:32 AM
I have the CT33 dust collector so that will be the deciding factor. Festool it is.:D Plus it'll stack with the rest of the Fest.:D

Rye Crane
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Bill,

One more thing to add to the rest of the Friends of Festool. You can get an accessory that will allow you to mount the jig saw on the Festool guides for precision cuts. The item number is 490031 and the catalog price is 11.50.

I do not have the Bosch jig saw, can't comment on which is best. The Festool jig saw has done everything I want very well.

One last thing. When cutting curves, make sure you get the correct blade, it will help make the scrolling easier.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane

Chris Rosenberger
01-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Chris,

Which Bosch jigsaw do you have? I'm curious if it's the 1590 (D-handle) or 1591 (Barrel grip) or the 1587, 1581?

I have 2 Bosch 1582 barrel grip & a 1591 barrel grip.

Bill Wyko
01-25-2008, 2:22 PM
Thanks Rye.

Jim Becker
01-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Bill, the first Festool I bought was the Jigsaw. (Barrel Grip) It's a fine tool...everything one expects from Festool. That said, I believe I could also be very happy with the latest Bosch (with the blade guides) in most respects. They are both great tools. Given my embracing the Festool system, I probably have the right tool for my own shop. And I do have the guide rail adapter that Rye mentioned. Works great.