PDA

View Full Version : Festool 1010 ????

Mark Valsi
01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Does anyone have this router ?

I'm looking to get a "smallish" router and this seems good.

Does it take 1/4" bits ???

Thanks

Carl Schellenberg
01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes it takes 1/4 in router bits.
It is a great little router.

Carl

Brice Burrell
01-24-2008, 12:44 PM
Mark, the 1010 is very nice little router. It takes 1/4" and 8 mm bits, but will not take 1/2" bits. Some people can't get passed the fact it doesn't use 1/2" bits, not me, I love this thing. It's well equipped right out of the Systainer, edge guide and guide rail adapted. Dust collection is very good, as you would expect from Festool. I've not had any issues with power, it will do anything you can expect within the ability of 1/4" or 8 mm bits.

You can take a look at the 1010 on my non-commercial site, http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage20.html (http://www.burrellcustomcarpentry.com/subpage20.html)

John Stevens
01-24-2008, 1:01 PM
Hi, Mark. I have the OF1000, which was the previous model. I really like it, but note that the only other plunge router I've used regularly is a PC690VS. I like the Festool router for its light weight and dust collection capability, but I think the accessories (32mm hole driller, dovetail jig, guide rail) are what really distinguish it from other small plunge routers. If you're not planning on also buying those (expensive) accessories, then the cost-benefit balance might not be as favorable as it would be otherwise. OTOH, it seems to often happen that as soon as a person buys one Festool product, he or she gets a differenct appreciation for the costs and benefits, and finds it worth the money to buy the accessories and even other tools.

BTW, 8mm-shank bits are becoming a little more common in the US. For straight and DT bits, there's an adequate variety (IMO) but for other shapes, there's not nearly the variety you'll find in the 1/4" and 1/2" varieties.

Regards,

John

Regards,

John

Steven Wilson
01-24-2008, 3:25 PM
Yep, very nice little router. There is a very good variety of 8mm bits so I don't see the lack of 1/2" bit support to be an issue (I have other routers that handle those). I really like using it with Festool's 32mm hole system.

Mark Valsi
01-24-2008, 4:10 PM
Bruce,

thanks for the website ! Really informative.

And thanks to all for the comments. I think I'll get one!!