PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 6" jointer comparison

Ray Meche
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
I know 8" is the way to go for jointers, but space being an issue I will have to settle for now and maybe upgrade later. Factoring in the price (since I will be getting a GO555 Ultimate bandsaw too) I am looking at 2 different 6" jointer models from Grizzly which are very similar on paper. GO452 vs GO654

GO654 $409 shipped
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-46-Jointer/G0654
Brand new model

GO452 $439 shipped
http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-Jointer/G0452
Fence seems to be a little bigger
A little heavier

I am considering other models from other manufacturers, but with the built in mobile bases and the price, one of these is surely a fit for the garage/shop.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions about either one of these Grizzly Models? Any opinions or comments are much appreciated. Thanks.

keith ouellette
01-24-2008, 1:19 PM
Does the 6" jointer come with a parallel table? I have the go490 with a parallel table and really like it.

Jason Beam
01-24-2008, 1:40 PM
the 452 has a few more things going for it than the 654:

the fence is 6" longer - that's significant.
the fence is on a rack and pinion adjustment - no sliding, just turn a crank.
the blades are 1/8" longer - that's only really an issue come replacement time.

Those two features added onto essentially the same machine for just a little more money is interesting. The 452 is painted with their "older" scheme - no cream panels - but it has a pole-mounted switch - which I am a HUGE fan of. My 586 has one and I love having that switch up there instead of fishing for it.

I'm always a little confused by the combination of adjustment (handwheel on one, lever on the other). I'm a handwheel fan myself - and having one only on the outfeed is pointless to me since I rarely adjust that one. I find I get more finite control with wheels - other's prefer levers. It's the mix that is odd to me - I don't like levers, and putting one on the most-adjusted (yet also very rarely, too) side throws me. But that's all personal preference.

If it were me, I'd get the 452, myself. But that's because i HAVE a fence on a rack & pinion already and like it - so resistence to change is probably the driving factor for me, there.